Re: Flat Bottoms

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
      Lewis and Rob,

      Thanks for the replies.

      Lewis, I have a copy of Parker's Sharpie book and, quite frankly, I
      find them to be some of the most attractive boats around. Perhaps it
      is their simplicity. Maybe I have no aesthetic taste!:-O I think
      that Excelsior is just about at my length limit. I would agree with
      you that the stayed rig would be a pain in the neck, but I think that
      is something that could be changed easily. I will sail on Lake
      Michigan and surrounding waters. The difficulty here is that the
      water is pretty deep, but can get rough in the conditions I sail in.
      For example, I was out today in 20-25mph winds with the breeze
      kicking up a 1.5-2' chop on an inland lake connected to Lake
      Michigan. And I guess I am wondering how a flat bottom craft would go
      in such conditions, especially to windward. Having the fillings
      pounded out of my teeth is not an attractive proposition, to be sure.

      I will be building in the next year or so. Folks tell one to look and
      see what others are sailing. Well, here in Western MI it is mostly
      fiberglass deep keeled boats. Neither of which suit my needs to both
      trailer easily and build.

      Dennis
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
        Dennis,

        I guess that Lake Michigan also qualifies as a large lake.<grin> Rob
        talking about midwestern lakes reminded me of one teenage year spent
        in north-eastern Indiana. I can just picture Excelsior gliding along
        those beautiful lakes, heeled well over with the crew hiked out and
        enjoying the ride. The plans are priced right, it should be an easy
        build and being so narrow, I don't think the pounding would be too
        bad. I hope that you do build Excelsior and report on the sailing
        qualities. At my age and lacking much athelitic ability, I am looking
        for something with a little more beam but also in the 19-22 foot
        range. Also, I need a cuddy or cabin for some sun protection here in
        the tropics.

        Lewis
        On the shore of Lake Nicaragua
        Granada, Nicaragua

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <pseudodion@...> wrote:

        > Lewis and Rob,
        >
        > Thanks for the replies.
        >
        > Lewis, I have a copy of Parker's Sharpie book and, quite frankly, I
        > find them to be some of the most attractive boats around. Perhaps it
        > is their simplicity. Maybe I have no aesthetic taste!:-O I think
        > that Excelsior is just about at my length limit. I would agree with
        > you that the stayed rig would be a pain in the neck, but I think that
        > is something that could be changed easily. I will sail on Lake
        > Michigan and surrounding waters. The difficulty here is that the
        > water is pretty deep, but can get rough in the conditions I sail in.
        > For example, I was out today in 20-25mph winds with the breeze
        > kicking up a 1.5-2' chop on an inland lake connected to Lake
        > Michigan. And I guess I am wondering how a flat bottom craft would go
        > in such conditions, especially to windward. Having the fillings
        > pounded out of my teeth is not an attractive proposition, to be sure.
        >
        > I will be building in the next year or so. Folks tell one to look and
        > see what others are sailing. Well, here in Western MI it is mostly
        > fiberglass deep keeled boats. Neither of which suit my needs to both
        > trailer easily and build.
        >
        > Dennis

      • derbyrm
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
          Many, many decades ago I crewed for a fraternity brother who kept his sloop on a mooring in Belmont Harbor, Chicago. My memories may have warped somewhat over time, but from what I remember, you really need something more seakindly for Lake Michigan. The sharpie will survive, but the crew ???

          Near the south end, a North wind has a 300 mile fetch and the shoaling bottom builds up steep waves that will at least loosen your fillings in a chop. We were sailing a 34' wooden sloop with the classic wine glass sections and a six foot draft. Having learned to sail by reading a book, we didn't recognize the red pennants on the Coast Guard Station as storm warnings and had one very rough night between Saugatuck, MI, and home. We had a road map to navigate by, and were doing fine until they turned off the beacon on the Palmolive Building at midnight.

          Commercial skippers who'd brought their freighters thru the newly opened St. Lawrence Seaway claimed Michigan was rougher than the ocean.

          Roger
          derbyrm@...
          http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
            On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:16:10 -0000, Dennis wrote:
            > I guess I am wondering how a flat bottom craft would
            > go in such conditions, especially to windward.

            Remember, a flat bottom boat with a hard chines becomes a V-bottom boat when heeled ... :)

            Kenneth Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            Cebu City, Philippines
          • derbyrm
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2006
              You've set out the same criteria that led me to select Bolger's Chebacco with the cruising conversion (which I'm intending to build as a sort of hard dodger).

              His Birdwatcher is fascinating, but you sit on the floor ... and then you have to get up again.