Re: Florence Oakland Displacement and SA

  • mikegt4
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...>
      wrote:

      > Anyone happen to know the sail area and displacement for Florence
      > Oakland ?
      >
      > It doesn't seem to mention them on the Atkin boat plans web site.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)

      sail area, jib 59 sq ft, foresail 93 sq ft, main 145 sq ft, total 297
      sq ft. Disp was something like 3500-4000 lbs. if I remember
      correctly. Here is a link to one near me in SW Ohio, she is a beauty.
      A co-worker sailed on the same lake and said that she is surprisingly
      quick.
      http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker/charlene.htm

      Mike
    • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2006
        I ran the offsets through my computer design program and got a displacement of 5200 Lbs. The sail area you listed was correct. Like all schooners Charlene's best points of sail are between 80 degrees and 300 degrees off the wind, and I do regularly go faster on a broad reach than other boats of my water line length and some longer. However, her windward ability can best be described as "a stately progression".
        Best,
        Bill Parker
        Charlene