Florence Oakland Displacement and SA

  • Chris Kottaridis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2006
      Anyone happen to know the sail area and displacement for Florence
      Oakland ?

      It doesn't seem to mention them on the Atkin boat plans web site.

      Thanks

      Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
    • mikegt4
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...>
        wrote:

        > Anyone happen to know the sail area and displacement for Florence
        > Oakland ?
        >
        > It doesn't seem to mention them on the Atkin boat plans web site.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)

        sail area, jib 59 sq ft, foresail 93 sq ft, main 145 sq ft, total 297
        sq ft. Disp was something like 3500-4000 lbs. if I remember
        correctly. Here is a link to one near me in SW Ohio, she is a beauty.
        A co-worker sailed on the same lake and said that she is surprisingly
        quick.
        http://www.geocities.com/wmeparker/charlene.htm

        Mike
      • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2006
          I ran the offsets through my computer design program and got a displacement of 5200 Lbs. The sail area you listed was correct. Like all schooners Charlene's best points of sail are between 80 degrees and 300 degrees off the wind, and I do regularly go faster on a broad reach than other boats of my water line length and some longer. However, her windward ability can best be described as "a stately progression".
          Best,
          Bill Parker
          Charlene