Fore An' Aft

  • jfrodigh
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 13, 2006
      Hello, as a new member I am not sure what resources I have within the
      group. I will be taking possession of a 1955 built Fore An' Aft Gaff
      Cutter, any and all suggestions on the refurbish/rebuild will be much
      appreciated. I will be replacing butt blocks with hide-a-butt scarfs,
      new garboards and bulwarks/stantions. I may possibly replace the stem
      as well. The Westerbeke 30,(British Leyland 4-91,as used in British
      Taxi's), will need rebuild or replacement. I have heard that using the
      4-91 parts and gaskets is a huge savings over Westerbeke, I guess as
      easy as calling up your local London Taxi repair shop.

      Warmest regards, John

      John Frodigh
    • David
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 14, 2006
        John,

        There are a number of knowledgable sorts here, including John K, our
        peerless moderator. You might also check in with Jay Greer over at the
        "commonsenseboats" group. The discusssion there centers around
        traditional boatbuilding and the skills/techniques necessary for
        building or restoring that type of boat. Good Luck.

        Cheers,
        David Graybeal
        Portland, OR

        "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose
        sight of the shore" -- Andre Gide

        *****************

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "jfrodigh" <jfrodigh@...> wrote:

        > Hello, as a new member I am not sure what resources I have within the
        > group. I will be taking possession of a 1955 built Fore An' Aft Gaff
        > Cutter, any and all suggestions on the refurbish/rebuild will be much
        > appreciated. I will be replacing butt blocks with hide-a-butt scarfs,
        > new garboards and bulwarks/stantions. I may possibly replace the stem
        > as well. The Westerbeke 30,(British Leyland 4-91,as used in British
        > Taxi's), will need rebuild or replacement. I have heard that using the
        > 4-91 parts and gaskets is a huge savings over Westerbeke, I guess as
        > easy as calling up your local London Taxi repair shop.
        >
        > Warmest regards, John
        >
        > John Frodigh

      • jfrodigh
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 15, 2006
          Thank you David for your feedback, best wishes, John
        • Robert Miller
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 16, 2006
            Have long been an absolute fan of this design. Wish you much success in her re-fit.

            Please, please post lots of photos her, and of your progress along the way. I'm certain
            many here would appreciate seeing and reading about her as you go forward as much as I.

            Best regards,
            Robert

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "jfrodigh" <jfrodigh@...> wrote:

            > Hello, as a new member I am not sure what resources I have within the
            > group. I will be taking possession of a 1955 built Fore An' Aft Gaff
            > Cutter, any and all suggestions on the refurbish/rebuild will be much
            > appreciated. I will be replacing butt blocks with hide-a-butt scarfs,
            > new garboards and bulwarks/stantions. I may possibly replace the stem
            > as well. The Westerbeke 30,(British Leyland 4-91,as used in British
            > Taxi's), will need rebuild or replacement. I have heard that using the
            > 4-91 parts and gaskets is a huge savings over Westerbeke, I guess as
            > easy as calling up your local London Taxi repair shop.
            >
            > Warmest regards, John
            >
            > John Frodigh

          • Briton H
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 27 3:19 PM
              Hello,

              I have recently received my plans from Atkin & Co. for a Fore an' Aft, and plan on beginning construction within the year. It has been a long time coming, and may be a little premature even. But I am moving forward. I am in Northern Utah, and this boat will most likely put in at Bear Lake. Any constructive advise on getting started would be appreciated. I look forward to chatting with you all over the next several months.

              Brit
            • JohnA
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 27 3:33 PM
                > I have recently received my plans from Atkin & Co. for a Fore an' Aft, and plan on beginning construction within the year. It has been a long time coming, and may be a little premature even. But I am moving forward. I am in Northern Utah, and this boat will most likely put in at Bear Lake. Any constructive advise on getting started would be appreciated. I look forward to chatting with you all over the next several months.
                >
                > Brit

                Hi Brit,

                Exiting news. Give us some background: what's your experience level, where do you plan on building her (i.e., in the open, in a shed, etc.), what sort of tools you have, how you plan on building her (traditional, strip plank, etc.).

                If you haven't already, you should make your way over to the wooden boat forum. Lots of good advice there, too: http://forum.woodenboat.com

                If you're a beginner, my advice would be: build a tender for her, first. You're going to need one anyway, and it's better to practice on a little boat than a big one. The Atkin "Vintage" would be a good choice... if you can loft Vintage, you should be able to loft Fore and Aft.

                -- John
              • Briton H
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 27 3:58 PM
                  I'd classify myself as an intermediate novice...=)

                  I have built a Stevenson's Weekender, three kayaks and a canoe. One of the kayaks was Nick Schade's free S&G Guillemot. It was built from offsets only, no real plans.

                  I worked for years in the commercial cabinet industry, and would I have at least 'advanced' woodworking skills. However, cabinet making does not share much with boat building. I have done some steam bending, a good deal of lofting, and I have built a couple of bird's mouth masts.

                  Currently, I am looking for a good build site. I would like to build indoors, but will probably end up outside, with an indoor shop. I am researching gathering and milling much of the lumber and drying it myself as well.

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                  > > I have recently received my plans from Atkin & Co. for a Fore an' Aft, and plan on beginning construction within the year. It has been a long time coming, and may be a little premature even. But I am moving forward. I am in Northern Utah, and this boat will most likely put in at Bear Lake. Any constructive advise on getting started would be appreciated. I look forward to chatting with you all over the next several months.
                  > >
                  > > Brit
                  >
                  > Hi Brit,
                  >
                  > Exiting news. Give us some background: what's your experience level, where do you plan on building her (i.e., in the open, in a shed, etc.), what sort of tools you have, how you plan on building her (traditional, strip plank, etc.).
                  >
                  > If you haven't already, you should make your way over to the wooden boat forum. Lots of good advice there, too: http://forum.woodenboat.com
                  >
                  > If you're a beginner, my advice would be: build a tender for her, first. You're going to need one anyway, and it's better to practice on a little boat than a big one. The Atkin "Vintage" would be a good choice... if you can loft Vintage, you should be able to loft Fore and Aft.
                  >
                  > -- John

                • JohnA
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 27 4:22 PM
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Briton H" <brithowell@...> wrote:

                    > I'd classify myself as an intermediate novice...=)
                    >
                    > I have built a Stevenson's Weekender, three kayaks and a canoe. One of the kayaks was Nick Schade's free S&G Guillemot. It was built from offsets only, no real plans.

                    Well, that's pretty extensive experience in my book.

                    On this forum, there are a few people who have experience maintaining big Atkin boats who will hopefully chime in. But for real building advice, I think you are going to have to make friends with the dozen or so people on the WB forum who know what they are talking about for that sized boat.

                    I hope you go for it and am very interested in seeing some pictures, eventually! Start a blog!
                  • JohnA
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 27 5:11 PM
                      I had another thought which you can take for what it's worth...

                      If I was going to put that much time and money into a boat, I would want the designer to be available for consultation when I got stuck.

                      That obviously isn't possible with Fore and Aft, but you could go for the next best thing.

                      What I would do is come to an arrangement with Paul Gartside. He knows as much about Atkin boats as anyone and would probably be the best go-to person for the really sticky problems you are bound to run into.

                      Whatever he charges, it'll be peanuts in the big picture, and I would bet each phone call will more than pay off in lost time or wasted material.

                      Just my two cents...
                    • Briton H
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 27 7:26 PM
                        Sounds like a good idea.

                        I am starting a 1:12 scale model very soon to help identify problem areas before much is invested. I will post pictures as I progress.

                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                        > I had another thought which you can take for what it's worth...
                        >
                        > If I was going to put that much time and money into a boat, I would want the designer to be available for consultation when I got stuck.
                        >
                        > That obviously isn't possible with Fore and Aft, but you could go for the next best thing.
                        >
                        > What I would do is come to an arrangement with Paul Gartside. He knows as much about Atkin boats as anyone and would probably be the best go-to person for the really sticky problems you are bound to run into.
                        >
                        > Whatever he charges, it'll be peanuts in the big picture, and I would bet each phone call will more than pay off in lost time or wasted material.
                        >
                        > Just my two cents...

                      • JohnA
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 28 12:17 PM
                          > I am researching gathering and milling much of the lumber and drying it myself as well.

                          I think this is an under-discussed part of boat building. How to get sufficient lumber to build a boat, without going broke in the process. It sure helps to locally source your lumber, as Mr. Madison is doing with his Maid of Endor build.

                          http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?128218-Building-the-Maid

                          He seems to get most of his wood from his backyard ;-)
                        • Briton H
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 4, 2013
                            The plans call for Yellow Pine in the keel, and a couple of other areas. SYP is a bit sparse here. Does anyone here know if Doug Fir or Juniper wold be an acceptable substitute?

                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                            > > I am researching gathering and milling much of the lumber and drying it myself as well.
                            >
                            > I think this is an under-discussed part of boat building. How to get sufficient lumber to build a boat, without going broke in the process. It sure helps to locally source your lumber, as Mr. Madison is doing with his Maid of Endor build.
                            >
                            > http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?128218-Building-the-Maid
                            >
                            > He seems to get most of his wood from his backyard ;-)

                          • John Frodigh
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013

                              I have a Fore n Aft built in the 50s, the keel and deadwood are white oak, which is great, SYP just lasts longer.

                              John Frodigh

                              The plans call for Yellow Pine in the keel, and a couple of other areas. SYP is a bit sparse here. Does anyone here know if Doug Fir or Juniper wold be an acceptable substitute?

                              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                              > > I am researching gathering and milling much of the lumber and drying it myself as well.
                              >
                              > I think this is an under-discussed part of boat building. How to get sufficient lumber to build a boat, without going broke in the process. It sure helps to locally source your lumber, as Mr. Madison is doing with his Maid of Endor build.
                              >
                              > http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?128218-Building-the-Maid
                              >
                              > He seems to get most of his wood from his backyard ;-)

                              This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission.Copyright 2013 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential
                            • John Frodigh
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013

                                One more thing, I think SYP was specified because of the then popular use of Galvie fasteners, which in White Oak, after time, is disastrous

                                John Frodigh

                                The plans call for Yellow Pine in the keel, and a couple of other areas. SYP is a bit sparse here. Does anyone here know if Doug Fir or Juniper wold be an acceptable substitute?

                                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                                > > I am researching gathering and milling much of the lumber and drying it myself as well.
                                >
                                > I think this is an under-discussed part of boat building. How to get sufficient lumber to build a boat, without going broke in the process. It sure helps to locally source your lumber, as Mr. Madison is doing with his Maid of Endor build.
                                >
                                > http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?128218-Building-the-Maid
                                >
                                > He seems to get most of his wood from his backyard ;-)

                                This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission.Copyright 2013 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential
                              • Timothy Dalton
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
                                  I've seem lots of SYP at wood salvagers but it is $7/bf. lots of long lengths. If you use Doug Fir it should be epoxy encapsulated and check ring spacing.
                                  Tim

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
                                    I would have to splice up a white oak keel, but it is an option. While looking at the idea of cutting my own lumber, I discovered a local tree that is considered white oak - Gambel oak. Also called scrub oak around here - a trash tree. Funny what you find when you approach a problem from a different angle. White oak runs about $6 a foot at the lumber yard, but I may be able to get all I want for free.

                                    John - What do you think about the internal/external ballast arrangement? Does it work ok, or would you prefer more outside than inside?
                                  • John Frodigh
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013

                                      Internal  ballast is certainly old school, think Belgian pavers as ballast on the return trip of the yankee traders to europe.

                                      The combination does work, you can fine tune your trim, and go light a little for more freeboard. My internal ballast is lead balls 3" in diameter laid out like balls racked up on a pool table, double layers in the bilge and single layer up under the ceiling about a foot up.  My external is about 2,000 lb. of cast iron. I have heard poured concrete is not the way to go for internal.

                                      John Frodigh

                                      I would have to splice up a white oak keel, but it is an option. While looking at the idea of cutting my own lumber, I discovered a local tree that is considered white oak - Gambel oak. Also called scrub oak around here - a trash tree. Funny what you find when you approach a problem from a different angle. White oak runs about $6 a foot at the lumber yard, but I may be able to get all I want for free.

                                      John - What do you think about the internal/external ballast arrangement? Does it work ok, or would you prefer more outside than inside?

                                      This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission.Copyright 2013 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential
                                    • expeditions
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013

                                        Epoxy encap for DF?  Why do that?  Asking for major rot IMO.

                                        Best would be black locust (hard to find something that big though) or WO.  Or go sustainable tropical wood - purple heart, etc.

                                        The plans call for Yellow Pine in the keel, and a couple of other areas. SYP is a bit sparse here. Does anyone here know if Doug Fir or Juniper wold be an acceptable substitute?

                                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

                                        > > I am researching gathering and milling much of the lumber and drying it myself as well.
                                        >
                                        > I think this is an under-discussed part of boat building. How to get sufficient lumber to build a boat, without going broke in the process. It sure helps to locally source your lumber, as Mr. Madison is doing with his Maid of Endor build.
                                        >
                                        > http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?128218-Building-the-Maid
                                        >
                                        > He seems to get most of his wood from his backyard ;-)

                                        This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission.Copyright 2013 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential

                                      • mrk_gillett
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
                                          This is a bit to wade through but should answer you questions about the potential for local woods.

                                        • Edgar
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
                                            What about the obvious-white oak? I don't know where you are so I don't know if it's obtainable. I have used Doug Fir for lighter boats but for a heavier boat like F'nA I would not use it. It wears away under abrasion (grounding) much faster than oak. White oak, not red oak.

                                            I am currently building Ninigret.

                                            Bill B
                                          • JohnA
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
                                              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Briton H" <brithowell@...> wrote:

                                              > The plans call for Yellow Pine in the keel, and a couple of other areas. SYP is a bit sparse here. Does anyone here know if Doug Fir or Juniper wold be an acceptable substitute?

                                              This is one of those cases, I think, where you can get into trouble by being too 'creative'. Boat builders in your area figured out a long time ago what local woods were good for what. The best thing to do (for a number of reasons!) is to track down some old-time boat builders and ask them. It might take a bit of digging to find them, but they are around.

                                              You need a local support community for a project like this. Most would be thrilled to share their experience, I think.
                                            • Briton H
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
                                                Thanks for that link. I had a similar one, but had lost it in between projects.
                                              • Giuliano Girometta
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
                                                  White oak is a good substitute. Today's SYP is totally different, they now altered the genetic of the seeds to speed up the growt and the actual SYP is no more hard and rot resistant like the old.

                                                  Giuliano

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 5, 2013
                                                    That is the good one.
                                                    I have about 300 bf that I salvaged from an old building. They now are at least 98 years old.
                                                    You must see the difference between the two after you clear the surface with the planer.

                                                    Giuliano

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 6, 2013

                                                      He is right on about Long leaf YP these days.  I used very large timbers from old factories for a 34 cutter I have.  The structure of that wood was markedly different that current or even a few decades on YP.  This holds true or even more so for Doug Fir.

                                                      WO and Bronze -- very good combination.