Re: you guys are right

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
      I'm really glad you came to that conclusion! And you're right to worry about the hull holding up to trailering. I think trailering favors rather light and small hulls, plywood over timber. The better you seal it, the less it will suffer from the high "winds" in must endure every time you go somewhere. Each trip involves 60 mph winds, after all! You'd think that was a lot if you were standing in one place. I question how well one can tow something the size of Martha Green, really. You can't build that hull in plywood, so you'd probably have to strip plank and glass it, which might provide a some savings in hull weight. How much I don't know. You'll want to watch the engine weight, since some of the old thumpers are whopping heavy. And wind resistance is going to be a big deal on the road with something that big, especially with the pilothouse. Like dragging a parachute! You'll need a big V-8 truck and it'll suck down fuel most terribly. It impacts any long trips you might
      want to make if you're never getting into double digit fuel economy numbers. And of course you'll need a big dual axle trailer with brakes that get wet every time you launch it, and therefore need lots of mainenance. It's a very expensive proposition.

      Sorry to be a doomsayer, but there really are a lot of disadvantages to such a large boat, especially on a trailer. I'd always advise trying to figure out a way to use a smaller boat first. Even if you do build the big one, you'll still use a smaller boat a LOT. Probably a lot more than the big one, since it's cheaper and easier (and quicker) to use.

      3a. you guys are right
      Posted by: "mike" circvildawg@... circvildawg
      Date: Wed Jun 7, 2006 6:26 pm (PDT)

      yea i finally come to my senses. i feel that i still would like to
      build a martha green but keep her exactly as drawn, maybe a 10%
      stetch. a small diesel and it would be a lovely boat to take
      fishing.my only cocern is how would martha's costruction hold up to
      trailering. at 8' 4" beam is no problem. would sheathing the hull in
      glass help her hod up better for road travel.

      Do You Yahoo!?