Re: [AtkinBoats] Scow Hull

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2004
      I think you could call Sand Piper a big garvey, garveys being a refined
      subset of the scow family. Another nice Atkin garvey, sans tunnel, is the
      sedan utility Barnegat. The tunnel on Sand Piper is much like that on
      Huckleberry Finn, but Sand Piper is a much, much sleeker hull!

      The forward, lower part of a tunnel would be a good place for a "tunnel
      cooler." Make sure it's submerged when the boat is at rest.

      Thanks for the pix of Alma. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for
      scows, at least the good ones. Without the load of hay, some of those SF
      scow schooners were pretty fast. I've got a picture somewhere of one duking
      it out with the big ships in a Mariners' Day (?) regatta and at least
      holding its own.

      On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:24:31 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
      > The Sand Piper is graceful for a scow. Her Tunnel
      > stern is different than the conventional tunnels it is
      > a tunnel design that Atkin used on some of his other
      > boats that you have on-line.
      >
      > I have been thinking that the tunnel might be a good
      > place to put a Keel Cooler or a tunnel cooler ;) OK a
      > heat exchanger. It would be a lot safer than a
      > traditional keel cooler and cheaper than a marine heat
      > exchanger.

      The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
      be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
      <Elizabeth Taylor>