Blessing of the Fleet

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
      At the start of winter we hold an annual Blessing of the Fleet
      ceremony for local yachts. Pequot (a William Atkins Dragon design) a
      gaff topsail cutter took part in the ceremony. Most yachts motored
      past the wall of the local yacht club where the Blessing of the Fleet
      is held,in between moored yachts off the wall.
      Pequot was initially the only yacht under sail and sailed past with a
      full mainsail, staysail and jib in a good breeze of between 20 and 26
      knots. We didn't set the jib and gaff topsails!
      The design is so good that it was good fun to sail between the moored
      yachts and the shore fairly close in, tacking with ease.
      Onlookers said the yacht looked fantastic - a tribute to William
      Atkin, and it is true that everywhere she sails people remark how
      beautiful she looks.
      The temperature was down to about 22 degrees C and we did favour the
      tacks where the sun shone on the cockpit!
      The ceremony takes place in the Whitsundays, Australia, about 20
      degress south. There is one other Atkin design permanently in the area
      and we have had another two sail through in the past.
      Good sailing to you all.
    • DirtSailor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
        Peter,

        If you can how about posting some pictures?

        Dirtsailor

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@...>
          wrote:
          >Dirtsailor!
          I will try, there are photos of Pequot in the photo section of this
          site. I will post some if I can get hold of them.
          Best wishes