Re: length vs beam

  • David
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2006
      Mike,

      I'm afraid there is not simple, one size fits all, formula for "ideal"
      beam to length ratio. Way too many variables. If you want to learn
      more about it, join the Yahoo group "boatdesign" & read the archives,
      then post questions. I'm sure John and others can recommend several
      books to read: Dave Gerr; John Welsford; Beuhler; Bolger; et.al. If
      you just want the short answer, without doing the research (no
      particular reason to if all you want to do is build one boat), my
      answer is no.

      By that, I mean - I'd be highly skeptical of using such an arbitrary
      ratio to guide the reconfiguring of this existing design (by a very
      sharp, proven designer) in such a radical way. If you're set on
      stretching MG this much, I'd suggest commissioning another designer
      to: advise you whether it's likely to succeed; suggest how the
      handling characteristics of the new boat might differ from the
      original; and - if it seems advisable to proceed, go ahead and
      reconfigure her for you and create new drawings. Anything less would
      be highly experimental. Given the amount of money & time one would put
      into a boat like this, it's not a bet I'd make. I don't know of any
      other Atkin designs that would amount to the equivalent of a 31' MG,
      but there are lots of designs out there that might suit. I'd start by
      going to Duckworks Magazine's design index for the length you're
      looking for. You could also post inquiries on othere Yahoo groups,
      etc. Whatever you decide, good luck!

      Cheers,
      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR

      "Always glad to share my opinions and my ignorance. I've got plenty"