length vs beam

  • mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2006
      as i've been thinking of building a stretched martha green, i've found
      many thoughts on the subject from various builder and designers web
      sights. one said that in an ideal situation beam should be close to
      1/4 of the boats length. as mg has a beam of 8'4" this would equate to
      a length of a little over 33'. i don't think i would want to go that
      far but i think that a loa of 31'would be okay. she might roll a
      little more at displacement speeds but the added loa might give me
      less resistance, and more speed with the same hp due to better
      streamlining.
    • David
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2006
        Mike,

        I'm afraid there is not simple, one size fits all, formula for "ideal"
        beam to length ratio. Way too many variables. If you want to learn
        more about it, join the Yahoo group "boatdesign" & read the archives,
        then post questions. I'm sure John and others can recommend several
        books to read: Dave Gerr; John Welsford; Beuhler; Bolger; et.al. If
        you just want the short answer, without doing the research (no
        particular reason to if all you want to do is build one boat), my
        answer is no.

        By that, I mean - I'd be highly skeptical of using such an arbitrary
        ratio to guide the reconfiguring of this existing design (by a very
        sharp, proven designer) in such a radical way. If you're set on
        stretching MG this much, I'd suggest commissioning another designer
        to: advise you whether it's likely to succeed; suggest how the
        handling characteristics of the new boat might differ from the
        original; and - if it seems advisable to proceed, go ahead and
        reconfigure her for you and create new drawings. Anything less would
        be highly experimental. Given the amount of money & time one would put
        into a boat like this, it's not a bet I'd make. I don't know of any
        other Atkin designs that would amount to the equivalent of a 31' MG,
        but there are lots of designs out there that might suit. I'd start by
        going to Duckworks Magazine's design index for the length you're
        looking for. You could also post inquiries on othere Yahoo groups,
        etc. Whatever you decide, good luck!

        Cheers,
        David Graybeal
        Portland, OR

        "Always glad to share my opinions and my ignorance. I've got plenty"