Kubota-Diesel-Engine 6.5-HP-motor-Water-cooled

  • lon wells
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
      Here is a interesting little diesel.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/Kubota-Diesel-Engine-6-5-HP-motor-Water-cooled-Elec-st_W0QQitemZ7624100491QQcategoryZ11754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Rob Rohde-Szudy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
        Hey Ron,
        Thanks for sharing your experience. That was about what I'd guessed but it's good to hear it from someone who actually tried it.
        --Rob

        I spent a lot of hours experimenting with an air cooled generator set
        a while back. The exhaust sound was rather quickly shut down with the
        third generation muffler I built. The greatest source of noise is the
        cooling fins. Each one acts like a speaker cone on every cycle of the
        piston. It can be tamed with insulation and ducting but only at the
        expense of a large amount of space consumed. The problem is you have
        to ensure adequate air flow for cooling. This means long baffled
        inlet and outlet chambers. Buried in the bilge of an otherwise large
        boat you might stand a chance of success. Probably not at all
        appropriate to an open launch.