1930s Runabouts

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
      I convinced Mrs. Atkin to let me add a couple of 1930s runabouts to the
      catalog, thinking they'd appeal to the varnish crowd. Restless and Ran, plan
      numbers 403 and 413. These boats have never been in the Atkin catalog
      before!:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Restless.html

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Ran.html

      Nice boats. Done up fancy with lots of mahogany and varnish they'd turn
      heads at Tahoe. Little 14' Restlesss in particular looks like a good way to
      get that varnish fix in a small enough package that you could do a fancy job
      and still get it done in this lifetime, and wouldn't end up with too many
      acres of varnish to fret over all the time. <g>

      "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
      "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.
      <Alfred North Whitehead>
    • John Ewing
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
        BEAUTIFUL, both of them but especially Restless. Here I think I'd have to go outboard, though. I've been eying old-style runabouts at svensons.com (even bought the CD) and wondering if maybe, maybe I could manage one. I'd have to step up my boat-building skills hugely but at least I'd avoid being poked, scratched and bloodied by stitch-n-glue wire. I hate that!

        John

[...]

        No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>