Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: air cooled engines

  • Greg Clever
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3 12:08 PM
      Think about using 2 of these( via belt drive) for 13 HP and have a
      "get home" backup. Also, one engine trolling. $400.!
      Ya know, up to the 50's, Wisconsin air cooled engines used to power a
      bunch of livery (rental) boats - and they were lousy engines.
      Then there is the Honda 24HP air cooled, V twin @ around $1,200. .
      The $ you save over a "marine" engine will pay for materials to build
      a "rescue minor" , and a lot of fuel.
      Also, these are very light and you can carry much more fuel,etc., (or
      lead ballast down in the bilges which will add handsomely, to her
      stability), in order to bring her back to her designed water line.

      Greg.
      On Jun 3, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote:

      > Certainly that's a great price. The only trouble is the noise from
      > an air cooled engine. I've heard there are ways to do the ducting
      > to minimize it, but I don't know a lot about it. Given the
      > cheapness of air cooled engines, though, I would certainly welcome
      > ideas from those who know. --Rob
      >

      > Kreagen auto parts in CA Has very nice looking (LIke a Honda)
      > Champion OHV 6.5HP, 45 degree, single cylinderair cooled stationary
      > engines - pull start and gas tank included - for $199.00.
      > Put that in your boat and smoke it!
      >
      > GC Argher.

      > polite.
      >
      > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
      > plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
      > Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
      > resulting boat.

      > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      > Boat building design Building design Building design software
      > Home building design Commercial building design Home building
      > design plan
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

    • Ron Carter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4 6:38 AM
        >> > Certainly that's a great price. The only trouble is the noise
        from
        > > an air cooled engine. I've heard there are ways to do the ducting
        > > to minimize it, but I don't know a lot about it. Given the
        > > cheapness of air cooled engines, though, I would certainly
        welcome
        > > ideas from those who know. --Rob

        I spent a lot of hours experimenting with an air cooled generator set
        a while back. The exhaust sound was rather quickly shut down with the
        third generation muffler I built. The greatest source of noise is the
        cooling fins. Each one acts like a speaker cone on every cycle of the
        piston. It can be tamed with insulation and ducting but only at the
        expense of a large amount of space consumed. The problem is you have
        to ensure adequate air flow for cooling. This means long baffled
        inlet and outlet chambers. Buried in the bilge of an otherwise large
        boat you might stand a chance of success. Probably not at all
        appropriate to an open launch.
      • Rob Rohde-Szudy

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4 1:12 PM
            Here is a interesting little diesel.