Re: air cooled engines

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
      Certainly that's a great price. The only trouble is the noise from an air cooled engine. I've heard there are ways to do the ducting to minimize it, but I don't know a lot about it. Given the cheapness of air cooled engines, though, I would certainly welcome ideas from those who know. --Rob

      Kreagen auto parts in CA Has very nice looking (LIke a Honda)
      Champion OHV 6.5HP, 45 degree, single cylinderair cooled stationary
      engines - pull start and gas tank included - for $199.00.
      Put that in your boat and smoke it!

      GC Argher.

    • Greg Clever
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
        Think about using 2 of these( via belt drive) for 13 HP and have a
        "get home" backup. Also, one engine trolling. $400.!
        Ya know, up to the 50's, Wisconsin air cooled engines used to power a
        bunch of livery (rental) boats - and they were lousy engines.
        Then there is the Honda 24HP air cooled, V twin @ around $1,200. .
        The $ you save over a "marine" engine will pay for materials to build
        a "rescue minor" , and a lot of fuel.
        Also, these are very light and you can carry much more fuel,etc., (or
        lead ballast down in the bilges which will add handsomely, to her
        stability), in order to bring her back to her designed water line.

        Greg.
        On Jun 3, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote:

        > Certainly that's a great price. The only trouble is the noise from
        > an air cooled engine. I've heard there are ways to do the ducting
        > to minimize it, but I don't know a lot about it. Given the
        > cheapness of air cooled engines, though, I would certainly welcome
        > ideas from those who know. --Rob
        >

        > Kreagen auto parts in CA Has very nice looking (LIke a Honda)
        > Champion OHV 6.5HP, 45 degree, single cylinderair cooled stationary
        > engines - pull start and gas tank included - for $199.00.
        > Put that in your boat and smoke it!
        >
        > GC Argher.

        > polite.
        >
        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
        > plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
        > Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
        > resulting boat.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        > Boat building design Building design Building design software
        > Home building design Commercial building design Home building
        > design plan
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

      • Ron Carter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
          >> > Certainly that's a great price. The only trouble is the noise
          from
          > > an air cooled engine. I've heard there are ways to do the ducting
          > > to minimize it, but I don't know a lot about it. Given the
          > > cheapness of air cooled engines, though, I would certainly
          welcome
          > > ideas from those who know. --Rob

          I spent a lot of hours experimenting with an air cooled generator set
          a while back. The exhaust sound was rather quickly shut down with the
          third generation muffler I built. The greatest source of noise is the
          cooling fins. Each one acts like a speaker cone on every cycle of the
          piston. It can be tamed with insulation and ducting but only at the
          expense of a large amount of space consumed. The problem is you have
          to ensure adequate air flow for cooling. This means long baffled
          inlet and outlet chambers. Buried in the bilge of an otherwise large
          boat you might stand a chance of success. Probably not at all
          appropriate to an open launch.
        • Rob Rohde-Szudy

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2006
              Here is a interesting little diesel.