Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Scandal

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      David, David, when will you learn... When you mention messabouts you have
      to tell people where they can find them:

      http://www.coots.org/

      Pat's gotta build an "arbor" (isn't that your line of work David? <g>) as
      a wedding present for his son, Chad, before he can get back to work on the
      Scandal. Talk about having your priorities mixed up... ;o)

      On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 20:24:57 -0700, David G wrote:

      > She's looking mighty pretty. Looks just like a professional
      > woodworker build her <G> Are you gonna bring her to the Quinn's Cove
      > Solstice messabout? I'd love to get a closer look.

      No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
      himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
      the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
      better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>
    • David
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
        John,

        Yes, it is amazing about some folks priorities, eh? <BG> You're right
        about the link, of course. What WAS I thinking? Wouldn't it be great
        if a bunch of Atkin boat owners got inspired to come to our solstice
        event? I'm sure they'd be very, very welcome! May the fleas of a
        thousand wildebeast infest my loincloth until the day I finally learn!

        Cheers,
        David Graybeal
        Portland, OR

        "Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to" -- Mark Twain

        *******************

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
          And our host for the Solstice Messabout is himself an Atkin boat nut of
          the first water -- Lon is dreaming of building a Levee Belle! He's the one
          who talked Mrs. Atkin into putting Levee Belle into the catalog.

          http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/

          http://www.coots.org/

          On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:34:39 -0700, David G wrote:

          > Yes, it is amazing about some folks priorities, eh? <BG> You're right
          > about the link, of course. What WAS I thinking? Wouldn't it be great
          > if a bunch of Atkin boat owners got inspired to come to our solstice
          > event? I'm sure they'd be very, very welcome! May the fleas of a
          > thousand wildebeast infest my loincloth until the day I finally learn!

          He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into
          hamburgers. <Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway>
        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2006
            Gee John

            The West Wind will be there and if you bring your
            Atkin boat we will have a Atkin gathering.

            I just bouught a photo of the 1911 Atkin-Wheeler Boat
            Co 26' Hydroplane "Nameless II" "She was owned by
            Commodore H.H. Melville and August Heckscher, and was
            designed and built by the Atkin-Wheeler Company. She
            was 26 feet long, 5 feet 6 inches beam and has a
            16-cylinder 200-HP motor plant. She will built for
            the British International Trophy Elimination Races.
            As to her speed the designers say "We'd rather not
            say, - but fast!" So much for talk of Atkin low power
            boats.
            Lon

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/6mbrlB/TM

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24, 2006
              Pat Patteson launched his Scandal for the first time last weekend at the
              Port of Toledo Wooden Boat Festival:

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157594246819647/

              She performed even better than Pat expected; an elderly 4 hp. Evinrude
              Yachtwin pushed her over 11 mph. with just Pat aboard and 9 mph. with he
              and his wife, Kay, in the boat! She looks good too. Congratulations Pat!
              :o)

              People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. <Logan
              Pearsall Smith>
            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 25, 2006
                Hi John,

                This boat is almost narrow enough to be called a canoe so it's no wonder it moves along efficiently, especially if it was built light as Atkin says it should be ... :)

                And boy oh boy do I love the construction of those inwales! It's great when a utility boat has lots of big wide spaces along the gunnels for attaching whatever needs to be attached, or to grab and not bang your knuckles because the builder thought far enough ahead to leave plenty of space for big hands and fingers.

                Do you happen to know the thickness of the bottom and sides, and whether they are made with plywood or solid lumber? I'm guessing plywood but I cannot tell from the pictures and I'm rather curious, just in case I build one myself.

                Sincerely,
                Kenneth Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
                  I've been after Pat to tell you about his Scandal, but he's not ready yet.
                  <g> He took pains to make the boat light, though I think the inwale blocks
                  are overbuilt. She looks beautiful, but she was built on a tight budget
                  using el cheapo plywood. The side planks are 5.2 mm lauan and the bottom
                  is 3/8" exterior fir plywood. I think Pat splurged to buy clear dug fir
                  for the longitudinals. The thwarts are pine (ponderosa most likely),
                  almost as light as cedar but cheaper. She turned out real light, but she
                  seems quite strong.

                  On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 04:58:49 -0700, Kenneth Grome wrote:

                  > This boat is almost narrow enough to be called a canoe so it's no wonder
                  > it moves along efficiently, especially if it was built light as Atkin
                  > says it should be ... :)
                  > Do you happen to know the thickness of the bottom and sides, and whether
                  > they are made with plywood or solid lumber? I'm guessing plywood but I
                  > cannot tell from the pictures and I'm rather curious, just in case I
                  > build one myself.

                  Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are
                  the divinely provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever
                  they are on the brink of starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy
                  send them a nice plump missionary. <Oscar Wilde>