Re: Scandal

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      Pat,

      She's looking mighty pretty. Looks just like a professional
      woodworker build her <G> Are you gonna bring her to the Quinn's Cove
      Solstice messabout? I'd love to get a closer look.

      Cheers,
      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR

      "Art is all of a boat but the wood" -- Thoreau

      *******************8

      > Pat Patteson of Colton, Oregon (a suburb of Molalla) is building a
      Scandal
      > using plywood planking. It's finally looking like a boat. Good work
      Pat!

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
        David, David, when will you learn... When you mention messabouts you have
        to tell people where they can find them:

        http://www.coots.org/

        Pat's gotta build an "arbor" (isn't that your line of work David? <g>) as
        a wedding present for his son, Chad, before he can get back to work on the
        Scandal. Talk about having your priorities mixed up... ;o)

        On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 20:24:57 -0700, David G wrote:

        > She's looking mighty pretty. Looks just like a professional
        > woodworker build her <G> Are you gonna bring her to the Quinn's Cove
        > Solstice messabout? I'd love to get a closer look.

        No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
        himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
        the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
        better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>
      • David
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
          John,

          Yes, it is amazing about some folks priorities, eh? <BG> You're right
          about the link, of course. What WAS I thinking? Wouldn't it be great
          if a bunch of Atkin boat owners got inspired to come to our solstice
          event? I'm sure they'd be very, very welcome! May the fleas of a
          thousand wildebeast infest my loincloth until the day I finally learn!

          Cheers,
          David Graybeal
          Portland, OR

          "Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to" -- Mark Twain

          *******************

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
            And our host for the Solstice Messabout is himself an Atkin boat nut of
            the first water -- Lon is dreaming of building a Levee Belle! He's the one
            who talked Mrs. Atkin into putting Levee Belle into the catalog.

            http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/

            http://www.coots.org/

            On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:34:39 -0700, David G wrote:

            > Yes, it is amazing about some folks priorities, eh? <BG> You're right
            > about the link, of course. What WAS I thinking? Wouldn't it be great
            > if a bunch of Atkin boat owners got inspired to come to our solstice
            > event? I'm sure they'd be very, very welcome! May the fleas of a
            > thousand wildebeast infest my loincloth until the day I finally learn!

            He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into
            hamburgers. <Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway>
          • lon wells
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2006
              Gee John

              The West Wind will be there and if you bring your
              Atkin boat we will have a Atkin gathering.

              I just bouught a photo of the 1911 Atkin-Wheeler Boat
              Co 26' Hydroplane "Nameless II" "She was owned by
              Commodore H.H. Melville and August Heckscher, and was
              designed and built by the Atkin-Wheeler Company. She
              was 26 feet long, 5 feet 6 inches beam and has a
              16-cylinder 200-HP motor plant. She will built for
              the British International Trophy Elimination Races.
              As to her speed the designers say "We'd rather not
              say, - but fast!" So much for talk of Atkin low power
              boats.
              Lon

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/6mbrlB/TM

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24, 2006
                Pat Patteson launched his Scandal for the first time last weekend at the
                Port of Toledo Wooden Boat Festival:

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157594246819647/

                She performed even better than Pat expected; an elderly 4 hp. Evinrude
                Yachtwin pushed her over 11 mph. with just Pat aboard and 9 mph. with he
                and his wife, Kay, in the boat! She looks good too. Congratulations Pat!
                :o)

                People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. <Logan
                Pearsall Smith>
              • Kenneth Grome
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 25, 2006
                  Hi John,

                  This boat is almost narrow enough to be called a canoe so it's no wonder it moves along efficiently, especially if it was built light as Atkin says it should be ... :)

                  And boy oh boy do I love the construction of those inwales! It's great when a utility boat has lots of big wide spaces along the gunnels for attaching whatever needs to be attached, or to grab and not bang your knuckles because the builder thought far enough ahead to leave plenty of space for big hands and fingers.

                  Do you happen to know the thickness of the bottom and sides, and whether they are made with plywood or solid lumber? I'm guessing plywood but I cannot tell from the pictures and I'm rather curious, just in case I build one myself.

                  Sincerely,
                  Kenneth Grome
                  Bagacay Boatworks
                  www.bagacayboatworks.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
                    I've been after Pat to tell you about his Scandal, but he's not ready yet.
                    <g> He took pains to make the boat light, though I think the inwale blocks
                    are overbuilt. She looks beautiful, but she was built on a tight budget
                    using el cheapo plywood. The side planks are 5.2 mm lauan and the bottom
                    is 3/8" exterior fir plywood. I think Pat splurged to buy clear dug fir
                    for the longitudinals. The thwarts are pine (ponderosa most likely),
                    almost as light as cedar but cheaper. She turned out real light, but she
                    seems quite strong.

                    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 04:58:49 -0700, Kenneth Grome wrote:

                    > This boat is almost narrow enough to be called a canoe so it's no wonder
                    > it moves along efficiently, especially if it was built light as Atkin
                    > says it should be ... :)
                    > Do you happen to know the thickness of the bottom and sides, and whether
                    > they are made with plywood or solid lumber? I'm guessing plywood but I
                    > cannot tell from the pictures and I'm rather curious, just in case I
                    > build one myself.

                    Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are
                    the divinely provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever
                    they are on the brink of starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy
                    send them a nice plump missionary. <Oscar Wilde>