  • pinebaydude
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
      > Hey Kenneth,
      > True, but I don't think I'd want to use up the space to do it that
      way. One of the advantages of Robb's system is that it is compact.
      Besides, I don't see how it's much harder to have a pivoting engine,
      since the motor mounts need to be relatively elastic anyhow.
      > --Rob
      It occurs to me that one other way to do this, if you didn't want to
      move the engine up and down, would be to move the shaft up and down. A
      salvaged auto CV joint could be put on the shaft, then a simple frame
      could be welded up to support the tail shaft in pillow block bearings
      with a pivot point made concentric with the CV joint.

      >Put a flat aluminum disc on the engine shaft, then put a rubber wheel
      on the
      prop shaft. Install the engine in the transverse position on a
      height-adjustable platform. By varying the engine height and speed so the
      rubber wheel contacts the aluminum disc at different distances from
      its center,
      you have a CVT system that provides the full range of speeds -- in
      both forward
      and reverse.
      I made a drive like this for the feed on my bandsaw mill. It used a
      12v generator to spin a disc that drove a rubber tire on the cable
      feed drum. It was mounted on a sort of "tiller" handle and it gave me
      complete instantaneous feed control from full ahead to full return and
      anything in between. I'm not sure it would be the best for effecently
      driving a boat though, as it can involve a good bit of slipping and
      frictional losses.