Re: gas versus diesel

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006
      You know, I don't think I made my thoughts at all clear in the last post about this. Here's what I was trying to say:

      Most of the differences between gas and diesel are small enough to be dealt with through appropriate installation. E.g. fumes, vibration, reliability, etc. The spark headaches of a gas engine just move to the fuel system when you have a diesel. At least that has been my experience. There are diesel bargains to be found if you look hard enough, though gas bargains are almost always cheaper. So you have to do some figuring to determine whether the total cost balances better for your application with diesel or gas.

      The thing that CAN'T be dealt with any other way is range. The efficiency of diesel provides better range no matter how you slice it. So if you need range, you probably need diesel. Or sails.

      --Rob