New file uploaded to AtkinBoats

  • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2004
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
      group.

      File : /Temp/Alma.jpg
      Uploaded by : lononriver <lononriver@...>
      Description : Scow schooner Alma under sail

      You can access this file at the URL

      Regards,

      lononriver <lononriver@...>
    • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2004
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
        group.

        File : /Temp/Makah.jpg
        Uploaded by : jhkohnen <jkohnen@...>
        Description : The Barkentine Makah races a scow schooner at the 1884 Mariners Day race on SF Bay

        jhkohnen <jkohnen@...>
      • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 14, 2004
          Hello,

          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
          group.

          File : /RowboatAndOutboardPhotos/George.jpg
          Uploaded by : jhkohnen <jkohnen@...>
          Description : Poor photo of John Atkin in the 16' plywood rowboat George of his design

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 22, 2004
            Hello,

            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
            group.

            File : /Temp/Typhoon #23.jpg
            Uploaded by : sdholt <sdholt@...>
            Description : Typhoon came through Okinawa 10/19/04 w/115mph winds..Small one.

            sdholt <sdholt@...>
          • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 18, 2005
              Hello,

              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
              group.

              File : /MotorboatDrawings/Martha Green/Matha Green MS.JPG
              Uploaded by : j_freach <j_freach@...>
              Description : Martha Green Sail Plan

              j_freach <j_freach@...>
            • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 7, 2005
                Hello,

                a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
                group.

                File : /SailboatPhotos/Coda/36' Atkins - Coda - profile.JPG
                Uploaded by : andulsianstallion <jothello@...>
                Description : Coda Profile at anchor

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 21, 2006
                  Hello,

                  a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
                  group.

                  File : /waterlines187.jpg
                  Uploaded by : benefruct <ken@...>
                  Description : Calisto V. Canelli

                  benefruct <ken@...>
                • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5, 2009
                    Hello,

                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
                    group.

                    File : /River Belle hull resistance.jpg
                    Uploaded by : bomanaj <alan@...>
                    Description : Graph from FreeShip shows hull resistance of River Belle

                    bomanaj <alan@...>
                  • AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011
                      Hello,

                      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the AtkinBoats
                      group.

                      File : /HappyClamSkiff.pdf
                      Uploaded by : nasplundh <nasplundh@...>
                      Description : Happy Clam article PDF

                      You can access this file at the URL:

                      Regards,

                      nasplundh <nasplundh@...>
                    • Alan Boman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 12, 2011

                        Hi “nasplundh”

                        Thanks very much for the article about Happy Clam, including the offsets.  Terrific !

                        You can immediately see that Happy Clam doesn’t make any attempt to direct the wash leaving the transom downward to provide lift.  The photos of Happy Clam underway clearly show the stern “squatting” significantly and given that its draft is given as 11.5”, I wonder what minimum depth it would need to operate?

                        Given that Rescue Minor seems to achieve the best fore & aft balance, I wonder why the later designs trended away from what I would have thought was a very desirable characteristic??

                        Alan

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 13, 2011
                          Thanks for the Happy Clam Skiff! The plans show a speed of about 20mph with a 10 HP engine...any speculation what speed might be obtained with a 15 HP engine? I understand this is not a planing hull and it must "work" it's way through the water as opposed to skipping across the surface, so I'm not so sure more power will work at all. Any ideas out there?

                          Around here there is A LOT of water, both fresh and salt and there can be a long way to go to get to your destination. My target / minimum speed is at least 25 mph and I am wondering if any of these Sea Bright Hulls can manage that speed.

                          I also like the seaworthiness of these hulls as it would see some near coastal ocean water.

                          Greg in SC, USA

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011

                            Hi Greg,

                            A speed of 20mph is way more than the natural “hull speed” for a 17’ boat, so you can safely say that it is well and truly planing.

                            Atkin’s first ever Tunnel Stern design from 1922, “Mischief”, is the fastest of any of them and is quoted as achieving 23mph with a 30Hp engine.  It was a bit longer at 23’ which would have helped I suspect, but it gives you an idea.  The shape of the tunnel may have been a bit different too, but the plans haven’t survived, so far as I’m aware, so I guess we’ll never know.....

                            Alan