Re: MARTHA GREEN & Diesel Engines

  • David
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2006
      John,

      The Martha Green that was hauled from Texas to the NW is, IIRC, in
      Seattle. I believe it was a friend of Steve Miller who bought it
      (Steve, is that right?). I have lost track, and never did get a chance
      to eyeball it. If I decide, at some point, to build a bigger boat, you
      can be sure I'll attempt to track her down.

      Re. diesel engines. I have been giving some thought to a larger,
      inboard boat. Financially, I'm a long way from affording one... but
      I'm confident that we'll get there. I, as you know, am a powerboat
      neophyte, and much of my information is theoretical at this point.
      Nonetheless, I'm drawn to diesels for a few reasons. First, their
      low-revving longevity. Second, their simplicity. Third, their
      weight=ballast. I know that's a mixed blessing, but in the right hull,
      mounted low, it'd be an advantage (it seems). Fourth, their relative
      safety. Knowing myself, and wondering about my boys, the prospect of
      gas fumes in the bilge makes me mucho nervous. Can I remember to run
      the blower Every Time? Probably, but what if I forget? What if the
      boys forget? Believe me, they do forget things that result in
      destruction. (How many times do I have to warn them about stolen
      police cars & high speed chases??) Finally, the ability to run
      biodiesel. It's very early days yet in what is bound to be a
      tumultuous transition away from our longstanding reliance on fossil
      fuels, so it's gonna be hard to predict how it'll all shake out.
      However, it's looking more & more to me like biodiesel is a viable
      alternative. Perhaps it'll only be transitional. Perhaps it'll be a
      long-term mainstream option. I can't begin to guess, but I'm
      definitely leaning toward biodiesel in the short term.

      I get the impression that you're more of a gas engine fan. I know you
      know a lot about small inboards. Any thoughts on the above?

      Cheers,
      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR

      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future" --
      Niels Bohr

      *******************

      <SNIP>

      > I often recommend using plywood planking on Atkin boats when they're
      going
      > to be living on a trailer. For that usage the old construction methods
      > don't hold up as well as plywood construction for a number of reasons.
      > Martha Green is too big to live on a trailer and you want to make
      her even
      > bigger, so changing her construction to accommodate trailering doesn't
      > make any sense at all. For a wooden boat that's going to live in the
      water
      > it's far better to build the old-fashioned way, especially in the long
      > run. There are traditionally built boats 70, 80, and even over 90
      years
      > old still fishing the open ocean out of West Coast ports. How many
      plywood
      > boats that old are still around? Ok, that's a trick question, but
      you get
      > the idea. <g>
      >
      > I can just about guarantee that you'd never get plywood sheets to wrap
      > around Martha Green's bottom anyway. You'd have to piece the bottom
      > together out of odd shaped chunks, or use plywood "planks", and
      probably
      > use at least two layers. The framing would have redesigned too. A
      plywood
      > Martha Green would end up being more work than doing it the old
      fashioned
      > way.
      >
      > If you stretch Martha Green you're on your own. If the resulting boat
      > doesn't perform well you'll have only yourself to blame, not the
      Atkins.
      > But making a boat a little bit longer, without increasing the beam, is
      > pretty safe and often works out well.
      >
      > Texas seems to be a hotbed of Martha Green construction. In the last
      few
      > years I know of a couple that have been hauled from Texas to the
      > Northwest. Is that one that was for sale in Portland a while back
      still
      > around David?

      <SNIP>