Re: Robb

  • Niels
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2006
      Thanks for the Requiem Rob...
      I just met Mr. White two weekends ago at the Cedar Key Messabout.
      Did not have very long conversations him, but the ones I had were
      good.
      My last meeting with him, He just delivered his last boat to a
      customer (retiring). While they were out on the test runs out to
      the Island and back the Honda 8 flywheel started to come off or
      something like that and they retured to shore. By the way if any of
      you have the older Honda 8 check and make sure it was not recalled.
      I guss he packed up and went home as I did not see him the rest of
      the weekend.

      I will miss the Old Salt,
      Niels

      Here is the what was in the Thomasville paper:

      "Robb White, local writer and boat builder, died suddenly on
      Tuesday, May 16, 2006. He was born on June 4, 1941, in Thomasville.
      A graduate of Thomasville High School, he served in the United
      States Navy from 1959 to 1963. He attended Florida State University
      and graduated from Valdosta State University with a degree in
      biology. He taught science in Jefferson County, Fla., for 10 years.
      He is survived by his wife Jane; and his sons and daughters-in-law,
      Sam and Pam White and Wes and Erin White. He was the grandfather of
      Rosalie, Will, Neil, Rebecca Jane, Claudia and Allison White and the
      brother of June White and Barbara White. In accordance with Robb's
      wishes, after cremation his family will lay him to rest without
      ceremony. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Birdsong
      Nature Center. — Allen & Allen Funeral Home"
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2006
        Thanks Rob, that's a very nice requiem. I also appreciate your passing
        Robb's last email to you on to us. That sure sounded like the Robb we knew
        and loved. <g> Robb White was a good friend to Atkin & Co. even if he
        couldn't be made to follow the Atkin plans. <g> Mrs. Atkin's blood
        pressure may go down now that he's not around, but we'll miss the old
        Coot. My boating buddies know that being called an "old Coot" is a high
        compliment indeed around here, and Robb White richly deserved the title. I
        wish we'd had a chance to drag him to one of our messabouts... I'm sure
        going to miss the fatuous prolixity of his prose every two weeks in
        Messing About in Boats too. <sigh>

        This is what Mrs. Atkin wrote me, "Reading of Robb's death I am more then
        ever determined to live by my own code! I know you do, and it is great.
        We certainly don't know what the future holds, do we? Peace, Pat"

        Robb was drooling over Little Water before he died. I guess it's up to one
        of us to build one now.

        On Fri, 19 May 2006 08:27:21 -0700, Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote:

        > Requiem for Robb

        As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first.
        <Joshua Slocum>
      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2006
          Indeed, John. But I think one of our number HAS a Little Water waiting for the right person to save it! Check the photos section. I talked to the guy last year, but I passed on it because I realized it draws too much water for the thin stuff near me. I seem to remember it needs a couple frames and a couple planks. It'd be a wonderful boat for someone in a little deeper water than me. (Most of the Lower Wisconsin River really does require the 6" draft of Rescue Minor/Shoals Runner. You can only drop an outboard in the narrow "main channel".)
          Best,
          --Rob

          Message 5
          From: "John Kohnen" jkohnen@...
          Date: Mon May 22, 2006 0:56am(PDT)
          Subject: Re: Robb

          Thanks Rob, that's a very nice requiem. I also appreciate your passing
          Robb's last email to you on to us. That sure sounded like the Robb we knew
          and loved. Robb White was a good friend to Atkin & Co. even if he
          couldn't be made to follow the Atkin plans. Mrs. Atkin's blood