Re: Small steel motor cruiser?

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2006
      Now that sounds much more realistic than your original requirements. All those berths soak up a LOT of space. I'd be leery of a pernament pilothouse too, since the windage sucks a lot of power. If it's possible, it'd be better to use a flip-down windshield and canvas house. Then when you're desperate to get upwind fast you can lower them.

      I assume you're mooring rather than trailering? That's why most of us stick with plywood - steel is heavier. But if mooring is cheap where you live, I suppose steel might be cheapest in the long run.

      To get more berths, I'd think of a convertible cockpit with boom tent. There's some good information at http://www.btinternet.com/~sail/cruising.htm and a recent article on Duckworksmagazine.com. I think DW also has an older article by Paul Butler, so I'd search as well.

      Best of luck,
      --Rob

      Thanks, but I think the Jullian Adderley is actually too big, rather
      than too small, and the Diesel Duck designs are out of my price
      range. I should really emphasize realistic day use, rather than the
      less likely prospect of cruising much with three small children. I
      am actually thinking of a smaller version of Jullian, perhaps
      (literally, or in spirit) a pilot-house power conversion of William
      Atkin's Liza Jane steel sloop:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/LizaJane.html