Small steel motor cruiser?

  • The Peillet-Long Family
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2006
      Hello, all, here's a quick question...

      My family and I are moving to Tunisia, and I plan to tackle a small
      boat project or perhaps take advantage of lower costs to have
      something build. I will have to evaluate the local boatbuilding
      options once I get there, but I know of at least one major
      professional shipyard that builds both commercial and luxury boats in
      steel, so I am looking around for a suitable design.

      Liza Jane is a lovely little steel knockabout, but a small for my
      family of five, three of whom are under seven years old, but I've
      noticed that they grow quickly :-). Can anyone suggest an Atkin or
      other nice sail auxiliary or straight motor boat able to sleep at
      least four adults in minimum accommodations?

      Modest diesel power, traditional looks and steel construction are the
      only fixed requirements, though a pilot house or other interior
      accommodations for all would be nice, to get out of the Mediterranean
      sun in summer and from the rough, damp, cool weather in winter.

      Here is the kind of thing I am thinking of in a motor boat, in this
      case a George Buehler design in wood, but the spirit is right. I
      would lose the flying bridge, put a dinghy up there , and add generous
      railings to keep everyone in the boat.

      http://www.dieselducks.com/ducksite%20images/Jullian.jpg

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks and regards,

      Matthew in Luxembourg
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2006
        Not sure why you want steel but with 4 other people aboard this is about the smallest boat I would consider if my goal were to have a camp cruiser type of boat. A few days out in a boat this size would be all I could handle with so many other people aboard. Then again I like my space, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem for you ... :)

        Kenneth Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks

        On Mon, 08 May 2006 08:36:45 -0000, The Peillet-Long Family wrote:
        > Hello, all, here's a quick question...
        >
        > My family and I are moving to Tunisia, and I plan to tackle a small
        > boat project or perhaps take advantage of lower costs to have
        > something build. I will have to evaluate the local boatbuilding
        > options once I get there, but I know of at least one major
        > professional shipyard that builds both commercial and luxury boats in
        > steel, so I am looking around for a suitable design.
        >
        > Liza Jane is a lovely little steel knockabout, but a small for my
        > family of five, three of whom are under seven years old, but I've
        > noticed that they grow quickly :-). Can anyone suggest an Atkin or
        > other nice sail auxiliary or straight motor boat able to sleep at
        > least four adults in minimum accommodations?
        >
        > Modest diesel power, traditional looks and steel construction are the
        > only fixed requirements, though a pilot house or other interior
        > accommodations for all would be nice, to get out of the Mediterranean
        > sun in summer and from the rough, damp, cool weather in winter.
        >
        > Here is the kind of thing I am thinking of in a motor boat, in this
        > case a George Buehler design in wood, but the spirit is right. I
        > would lose the flying bridge, put a dinghy up there , and add generous
        > railings to keep everyone in the boat.
        >
        > http://www.dieselducks.com/ducksite%20images/Jullian.jpg
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks and regards,
        >
        > Matthew in Luxembourg
        >

        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.
        >
        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
        > plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
        > Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
        > resulting boat.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2006
          Hey man, if you like the Julian Adderly, I'd contact Buehler about working one up in steel. But I'd also compare costs with building the steel diesel duck, since I too think the JA might be small for you. Also be sure there's a really good reason to build in steel. You'll spend a lot of your life fighting rust, I would guess. --Rob

        • The Peillet-Long Family
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2006
            Thanks, but I think the Jullian Adderley is actually too big, rather
            than too small, and the Diesel Duck designs are out of my price
            range. I should really emphasize realistic day use, rather than the
            less likely prospect of cruising much with three small children. I
            am actually thinking of a smaller version of Jullian, perhaps
            (literally, or in spirit) a pilot-house power conversion of William
            Atkin's Liza Jane steel sloop:

            http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/LizaJane.html

            I may well contact Buehler, but I have first contacted Phil Bolger,
            who I know has tons of unpublished tradional designs that he has
            done over the years as well as the more well-known eccentric ones.

            As for the rust, there are a lot of steel boats out there that have
            been in use a LOOOOONG time, so I think, like anything, it's just a
            question of building and finishing it right and then maintaining it.

            I'll let you know how the boat design search goes, thanks for your
            comments.

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy

            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2006
              Now that sounds much more realistic than your original requirements. All those berths soak up a LOT of space. I'd be leery of a pernament pilothouse too, since the windage sucks a lot of power. If it's possible, it'd be better to use a flip-down windshield and canvas house. Then when you're desperate to get upwind fast you can lower them.

              I assume you're mooring rather than trailering? That's why most of us stick with plywood - steel is heavier. But if mooring is cheap where you live, I suppose steel might be cheapest in the long run.

              To get more berths, I'd think of a convertible cockpit with boom tent. There's some good information at http://www.btinternet.com/~sail/cruising.htm and a recent article on Duckworksmagazine.com. I think DW also has an older article by Paul Butler, so I'd search as well.

              Best of luck,
              --Rob