Weston Farmer's conversion
I got that from my old friend Matthew W. ("Wes") Farmer who was
Weston Farmer's son... a real nice guy who lived on Isle Royal...
died last year. Dad Farmer was fascinated by machinery (Wes was a
mechanical engineer himself) and published all sorts of articles
about mechanical stuff in his "Science and Mechanics" magazine which
I dog-eared to pieces when I was a boy reading about how to build
airplanes and boats and steam engines and stuff like that. The
conversion he did was one of those old cast iron one cylinder
engines. It was easy money. The drive shaft was separate from the
exhaust and I don't guess there was any problem with draining
crankcase condensate because the article didn't say anything about
that. I did it with an old British Seagull one time. The carburetor
just clamps onto a little nipple sticking out of the crankcase. You
can just loosen the clamp and twist it around... ran pretty good...
about like a British Seagull.
I believe your idea of just fastening a cut-down outboard by the
cavitation plate would work better. You could block the exhaust
into the foot and tap into the muffler. I still believe it would
have to seal well to keep air from being sucked into the cavity by
the propeller. I don't think the propeller size matters too much
(unless it was too big) as long as it fits the engine and gearbox
which would be standard on an outboard. I also believe a fifteen
or eighteen would be plenty.
I have had so many inquiries about the details of the machinery in
my boat since that WoodenBoat article came out that I have had to
resort to cut and paste to keep up with the mail. The guy who runs
my website is going to post the lengthy explanation on there pretty