Weston Farmer's conversion

  • oldbingey
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      Rob,

      I got that from my old friend Matthew W. ("Wes") Farmer who was
      Weston Farmer's son... a real nice guy who lived on Isle Royal...
      died last year. Dad Farmer was fascinated by machinery (Wes was a
      mechanical engineer himself) and published all sorts of articles
      about mechanical stuff in his "Science and Mechanics" magazine which
      I dog-eared to pieces when I was a boy reading about how to build
      airplanes and boats and steam engines and stuff like that. The
      conversion he did was one of those old cast iron one cylinder
      engines. It was easy money. The drive shaft was separate from the
      exhaust and I don't guess there was any problem with draining
      crankcase condensate because the article didn't say anything about
      that. I did it with an old British Seagull one time. The carburetor
      just clamps onto a little nipple sticking out of the crankcase. You
      can just loosen the clamp and twist it around... ran pretty good...
      about like a British Seagull.

      I believe your idea of just fastening a cut-down outboard by the
      cavitation plate would work better. You could block the exhaust
      into the foot and tap into the muffler. I still believe it would
      have to seal well to keep air from being sucked into the cavity by
      the propeller. I don't think the propeller size matters too much
      (unless it was too big) as long as it fits the engine and gearbox
      which would be standard on an outboard. I also believe a fifteen
      or eighteen would be plenty.

      I have had so many inquiries about the details of the machinery in
      my boat since that WoodenBoat article came out that I have had to
      resort to cut and paste to keep up with the mail. The guy who runs
      my website is going to post the lengthy explanation on there pretty
      quick.

      Good luck,

      RW