Re: Economy Jane

  • waltbald
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
      John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
      and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
      boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.

      Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
      know.

      thanks,

      Walter Owens

      > I didn't jump in here way back when because I didn't have anything
      to add.
      > But the other day at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival I saw a
      British

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 28, 2006
        Yes, Economy Jane is a BIG 21-footer! The example in the photograph is
        very well built and really is only suffering from cosmetic problems. She
        was being recaulked next to our booth at Port Townsend last September, but
        when her new owner, boatbuilder Mike Gwost, started reefing the seams he
        found that the old caulking really wasn't very bad (but he went ahead
        anyway). The fellow who built her back in the 1960s, Bud Shipley, visited
        the booth too, which was a treat. He told us about the boat he'd built,
        but it was a surprise when it showed up on a trailer Saturday evening! The
        gal with the festival organizers was skeptical about us wanting a beat up
        old boat next to our booth, but we were all excited about it. ;o) One of
        these days I'll put some other photos of her online. Since we've got a
        live one who wants to build an Economy Jane it may spur me to get to it
        sooner...

        On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:00:56 -0700, Walter wrote:

        > John, that's a great picture in its own right. For an "economy" boat,
        > and a boat that has obviously seen better days, it is just mind
        > boggling how every line and every proportion looks so elegant.
        >
        > Also I didn't realize it was that big. I sort of suspected, but now I
        > know.

        When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on
        land. <Samuel Johnson>
      • rkurtchner
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
          Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21' sail cruiser off the
          Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact
          dimensions off the internet's avalable information. My goal is to
          construct a boat capable of being launched in the Arkansas River and
          sailed into the Gulf of Mexico. I am trying to determine trailer
          weight and displacement. My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
          a deep hull and long offshore capabilities. It could not exceed a
          trailerable dimension, but must be worthy of blue water voyaging. The
          rigging must be very basic and able to be operated with a solo crew
          member, preferably a lugsail type. Any suggestions for plans to
          consider?
        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
            > My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
            > a deep hull and long offshore capabilities.

            Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford?

            http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
            http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/eng/proyecto.html

            Sincerely,
            Ken Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com
          • sbrookman74
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
              First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?

              Thanks,

              SteveB
              http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
            • slusher_ben
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.

                Thanks.
              • sbrookman74
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:

                  > Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.
                  >
                  > Thanks.

                  I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but maybe with thin ply it might work. I posted a picture that someone from the Wooden Boat Forum sent me. It looks like a highly modified EJ (chain plates, bowsprit..) I don't have any info on her.
                • Scott Brumenschenkel
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 12, 2009
                    There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think
                    the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
                  • michaelye4
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 2, 2009
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sbrookman74" <Steve@...> wrote:
                      Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just enjoy. If you still feel the need to build an Economy Jane, well don't let us stop you.

                      Mike Schneider

                      > First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > SteveB
                      > http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm

                    • kollerj18
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 2

                        Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane