keel cooler

  • oldbingey
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2006
      Niels,

      The keel cooler in my boat is in a fiberglass box so that the copper
      plate is flush with the bottom of the boat and in contact with the
      water. The plate is not sealed to the box and the exhaust water is
      drawn out of that box so that trapped air is removed and there is a
      little circulation in there with the copper "U." That's the
      beautiful thing about metal boats. You can just weld the tubing to
      the inside of hull plating. That process is real common in steel
      commercial boats. Metal (especially aluminum) is such a good
      conductor of heat that heat is drawn away from the tubing and
      dissapated into the water by the outside of the hull.

      RW
    • oldbingey