Re: New Pictures - what's a Wanderer?

  • wmssmith3
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2006
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

      Thanks, Andrew. Wanderer was design #772, apparently done for Dell
      Publishings "1957 Boats". It is pretty much a flat bottomed Ninigret,
      near as I can tell. Maybe a little bit less beam, at 6'1" at the
      widest point.

      Mine is called "Artemis", for what it is worth. This weekend my
      brother and I will be scouting out the striped bass fishing in the
      Hudson River with her.

      Regards,

      Bill Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2006
        Kind of a plywood Russell R. with a permanent cuddy instead of a folding
        canvas one. Russell R. is design number 712, dated February 1953. Russell
        R. is 21' 10' by 5' 8", so Wanderer is a bit beamier. I don't know if Mrs.
        Atkin has the Wanderer plans, or the rights to them. Some plans were sold
        lock, stock and barrel to the magazines. Is there much detail in the plans
        for the construction of the motor well? If so, could you send me a scan?
        The plans for Russell R. leave most of the well to the builder's
        imagination...

        You did good Bill! Looks like she turned out real nice. :o)

        On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:57:13 -0700, Bill Smith wrote:

        > Thanks, Andrew. Wanderer was design #772, apparently done for Dell
        > Publishings "1957 Boats". It is pretty much a flat bottomed Ninigret,
        > near as I can tell. Maybe a little bit less beam, at 6'1" at the
        > widest point.

        There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and
        birth, without either virtue or talents... The artificial
        aristocracy is a mischievous ingredient in government, and
        provisions should be made to prevent its ascendancy. <Thomas
        Jefferson>
      • wmssmith3
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2006
          John:
          I got the full prints from Mr. and Mrs. Atkin, with motorwell details,
          so I'll presume she is the person to go to. I would say that it gives
          you the option of either a plywood 'floor' or 'sufficient' knees. I
          went with the knees to give myself more storage in the motorwell.

          Since the photos, I have installed a steering station behind the cuddy
          bulkhead on the starboard side, and borrowed an idea from Handy Billy
          for seating.