Re: [AtkinBoats] What do you get when you order the plans

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
      The study plans for the boats that were published in MoToR BoatinG (that's
      almost all of the boats in the catalog) are copies of the complete how-to-
      build articles from the magazine, with the table of offsets blanked out.
      Study plans for the "Three Little Cruising Yachts" are copies of chapters in
      the book Of Yachts and Men. To tell you the truth, I don't know what the
      study plans for the newer plans by John Atkin consist of. The "real plans"
      give you the full-size scale drawings, which may be no more than what you
      see in small size in the magazine articles for the small boats, but may
      contain more sheets showing details for the larger boats. And, of course,
      the table of offsets. Building instructions are the how-to-build articles
      from MoToR BoatinG, for the boats that appeared there.

      The building instructions don't hold your hand every step of the way.
      Amateur boatbuilders were assumed to be handier back when the Atkins drew
      plans for MoToR BoatinG. If you don't already have experience building boats
      study up on the subject, and start with one of the smaller and simpler Atkin
      boats.

      On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 04:00:32 -0000, Bryan H wrote:
      > I am assuming that the study plans are just blow ups of whats on the
      > atkinboats web pages. Is this right?
      >
      > What do you get if you order the real plans?

      Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so dull,
      so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to describe
      a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described
      a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>