New Pictures - what's a Wanderer?

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2006
      I've been enjoying all of the new pictures on the photo board,
      especially those of "Wanderer". I'm assuming that's the name of the
      design, as referenced in the captions, but it's not in the online
      catalog. Interesting boat though, sort of a cross between Russell R,
      Little effort and Ninegret. I'd like to know more about that one.
      Thanks wmssmith3, whoever you are.
      Andrew Harvey
    • wmssmith3
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2006
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

        Thanks, Andrew. Wanderer was design #772, apparently done for Dell
        Publishings "1957 Boats". It is pretty much a flat bottomed Ninigret,
        near as I can tell. Maybe a little bit less beam, at 6'1" at the
        widest point.

        Mine is called "Artemis", for what it is worth. This weekend my
        brother and I will be scouting out the striped bass fishing in the
        Hudson River with her.

        Regards,

        Bill Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2006
          Kind of a plywood Russell R. with a permanent cuddy instead of a folding
          canvas one. Russell R. is design number 712, dated February 1953. Russell
          R. is 21' 10' by 5' 8", so Wanderer is a bit beamier. I don't know if Mrs.
          Atkin has the Wanderer plans, or the rights to them. Some plans were sold
          lock, stock and barrel to the magazines. Is there much detail in the plans
          for the construction of the motor well? If so, could you send me a scan?
          The plans for Russell R. leave most of the well to the builder's
          imagination...

          You did good Bill! Looks like she turned out real nice. :o)

          On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:57:13 -0700, Bill Smith wrote:

          > Thanks, Andrew. Wanderer was design #772, apparently done for Dell
          > Publishings "1957 Boats". It is pretty much a flat bottomed Ninigret,
          > near as I can tell. Maybe a little bit less beam, at 6'1" at the
          > widest point.

          There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and
          birth, without either virtue or talents... The artificial
          aristocracy is a mischievous ingredient in government, and
          provisions should be made to prevent its ascendancy. <Thomas
          Jefferson>
        • wmssmith3
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2006
            John:
            I got the full prints from Mr. and Mrs. Atkin, with motorwell details,
            so I'll presume she is the person to go to. I would say that it gives
            you the option of either a plywood 'floor' or 'sufficient' knees. I
            went with the knees to give myself more storage in the motorwell.

            Since the photos, I have installed a steering station behind the cuddy
            bulkhead on the starboard side, and borrowed an idea from Handy Billy
            for seating.