978Re: Building a Atkins Boat

  • David
    Mar 19, 2006

      I think you're right. I was relying on memory (now there's a recipe
      for disaster, esp. w/my memory) - which said that Unsanctioned was a
      round-bilged boat, which would have required more skill to build. It's
      not. It's a very similar construction to Martha Green - without, as
      you say, the added size & complexity of MG. Thanks for the correction.

      On the topic of looks, it's very hard to make recommendations about
      aesthetics. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. I'd personally
      prefer the timeless tradtitional look of MG. However, I agree that the
      retro look of Unsanctioned could be very nifty.

      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR

      "Art is all of a boat but the wood" -- Thoreau

      <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:
      > David,
      > I can't agree that Martha Green might probably be easier to build than
      > Unsanctioned. She is two feet longer, 21 1/2 inches more draft, lots
      > more displacement, and has the added complication of an inboard engine
      > with a shaft to fit. Not an easy build for a novice.
      > And, just look how Chrysler has capitalized on the "retro" look with
      > the PT cruiser! Unsanctioned was designed as an "easy build" and
      > utilizes plywood construction. I have no idea of the level of detail
      > in the plans, but I bet that an experienced woodworker would not have
      > a difficult time with construction.
      > Lewis
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic