959Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Economy Jane

  • david judd
    Mar 5, 2006
      Hi JJ
      You have given me a lot to think about. Especially with my ignorance of engines-diesel or otherwise.

      ...and do have the power loss of v-belts.

      when you wrote this did you mean don't have the power loss ...?

      It's a good thing Mrs Atkin talked me into building the dinghy first. Time to look at small diesels I guess. Thanks JJ. Dave

      JJ Johnson <jjoftheusa@...> wrote:
      Good morning David,
      For power you might try www.hardydiesel.com, They carry a 4 hp air
      cooled diesel outboard with a long shaft at a very reasonable price,
      $995. If they do not have them lissted on their site, call them.
      Because of the weight I would put one on each side and use slides
      raise them completely out of the water rather than just tilting. This
      would also give you easy access to the power head for maintenance.
      WOW, a twin diesel Economy Jane!!!
      Or, goto www.utterpower.com and check out the Changfa diesels,
      especially the one lung water cooled. Then think belt drivewith a
      counter-shaft instead of a transmission. With just a little tinkering
      you can have F-N-R for much less than the cost of a decent gear box
      at any reduction ratio you want. Just use the flat belts instead of V-
      belts, they last longer, transmit more power without sliping, and do
      have the power loss of v-belts.

      Good luck on your project.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "dgj02000" <dgj02000@...> wrote:
      > Have been reading the study plans for Economy Jane for a couple of
      > and have a question about her. I would be grateful if someone would
      > the time to answer it.
      > What would be the best way to fit an outboard engine and what kind
      > engine would work best? Thanks.
      > Dave

      Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

      Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

      Yahoo! Mail