94Rescue Minor

    Feb 29 9:21 AM
      Rich Ledergerber wrote me off the list about his Rescue Minor model, but is
      letting me bring the conversation over here, so we can all benefit from it:

      "RESCUE MINOR is a very interesting design, i must have passed over it many
      times over the years, finally i took a close look at it and decided it would
      fill my needs here for myself, fishing and fooling around on local waters
      here in the rivers and bay, great fishing...i decided to build this model,
      have many pics of it while building, used scale wood and all just like full
      size to see how to plank it, well find that i dont know how atkin planked it
      with 3/4 plywood, it was impossible on the scale model, especislly up
      forward in the bows, in front of frame 3... the bottom and box garboard
      pretty easy to plank. i will use mdo plywood like i do on all my boats,
      great stuff, i left the framing system in the hull and forward of frame 3
      had to install several battens, just like batten seam construction, it took
      4 plywood planks forward of frame 3 to get the planking to lay fair to the
      frames. atkins used 3/4 ply, i will use 1/2 inch mdo, the small saving in
      weight is offset by the framing, and 1/2 is fine with the framing left
      installed. in fact the boat would be very easy to plank if the whole hull
      used battenseam construction where necessary, i built the model from offsets
      from one of the atkins series books that i have collescet over the years,
      have quite a few of them.the scantilings where also in the books, i will
      write Pat Atkin, and purchase he plans for 75 bucks justt to have them, but
      do not think it will shed any lite on hpw he bent 3/4 ply on thar hull fprm,
      unless he used the ashcroft system, which is to much work for me...haw...it
      would also be be very easy to plank with cedar, which i have here.but ply
      will work fine and not to expensive, i donot like to build with epoxy, hate
      the stuff, after fooling around with it a few years ago building sailboats i
      find it is easier and cheaper to build in conventional way, like lapstrake
      and rivets, i dont care to work with plywood, rather oak and cedar, much
      easier and more pleasant... am finishing up model now with prop, shaft,
      shaft tube, brass rudder tiller and today found tiny hinges that fit the
      scale just right in a local store that carries doll houses and furniture, a
      lot of things to use if building models.... oh yes i want to contact
      robb white in GA. and see how he built his minor, sure he had a time
      planking her."

      I too was suspicious of getting plywood to fit that deep forefoot,
      especially with 3/4"! But in the MoToR BoatinG article Billy Atkin seemed
      more concerned with the box deadwood, and wrote, "The planking on the sides
      of the box deadwood will be made from 3/4-inch thick waterproof plywood.
      these shoud be preformed because there is a sharp twist here from station 6
      to the propeller post." Didn't he see the twist at the other end of the
      boat? I wonder what he meant by "preformed"? Maybe built up from veneers or
      thinner plywood in place? I think maybe Wm. Atkin wasn't familiar yet with
      plywood's limitations when he designed Rescue Minor during WW II.

      Robb White strip-planked his Rescue Minor. He got a little carried away and
      strip-planked the whole thing, not just the bottom, doing away with the
      chines in the process. That's the only thing about the boat that he gripes
      about, water creeps up the windward side of the boat and blows in his face
      over the rail. The chines would have stopped that...

      A boatbuilder friend of mine has become something of an expert at getting
      plywood to do things it doesn't like to do. Particularly the twist at the
      stern of the plywood Northwest Indian canoes he makes. He uses the best
      quality plywood he can get, pours lots of boiling water on it, and lots of
      elbow grease and patience. When he saw the plans of Rescue Minor he wasn't
      daunted by the shape, and said it'd be a snap in stitch 'n' goo (his
      preferred building method), but I don't think he noticed that the plans
      called for 3/4" plywood! <g> The bows of his canoes are more photogenic, but
      I did find a couple of shots of sterns, to give you an idea of what plywood
      can do if you work hard enough at it:

      One boat just leads to another.
      <John Kohnen>
    • Show all 38 messages in this topic