821Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Seabright Skiff performance

  • awctod@aol.com
    Oct 7, 2005
      I haven't spent a lot of time looking at powerboats of late. I did however
      grow up on Long Island where the Verity family of Freeport built many skiffs of
      similar design dating back to the Prohibition. They were used in the ocean a
      great deal and were very good sea boats. one of the advantages to the box keel
      was the straighter (flatter) ) shaft angle that it allowed. These boats had no
      hook in their bottom and could really scoot along with moderate power. The
      box keel also provided about the same protection as a tunnel. A cost savings was
      also seen because they had only an outside packing gland. No shaft log or
      strut was put on the older boats to my knowledge.
      My dad remembers running the inlets and an occasional bump was not uncommon,
      they just added power on the next incoming wave and off they went. Many of
      these vessels were used commercially in the netting business as the power was
      forward and the sterns were open. Gill netters could carry quite a load in
      theses boats. A company in Freeport named Grover built a small 28' version in glass
      for many years. I have seen a few of these vessels that were quite large. The
      Mary from Greenport, NY was a rum runner and I bet she was 36' x 10.'
      Part of the advantage of this design may come from the box itself as a
      planning surface. Many of today's "go fast" boats have a planning "pad" on the
      bottom aft. I believe that if testing were done on identical hulls in a towing tank
      at planning speeds that the resistance of the box keel would be less. If not
      I am quite sure it would plane with less power or at slightly slower speeds.
      Good Luck
      Tod