813Re: Seabright Skiff performance

  • ronw683
    Oct 4, 2005
      Andrew - build the ketewomoke.. I have the plans for the pennant. The
      ketewomoke, pennant, and utility are all basically the same boat with
      minor differences, particularly in sheer. These are some of the old
      time everyday hard useage low power utilitarian type craft that where
      solid as a rock and performed beautifully day in, day out and in rough
      water. But they died out and no one builds them anymore, due to one
      reason, they are too slow. No one wants a boat with a top speed of less
      then 40 m.p.h. Times are changing though, and with the high cost of
      fuel, plus the baby boomers are getting older and no longer wants to
      ride around in a circle at 40 m.p.h. and when the water is a little
      rough, which is most of the time, being banged from wave top to wave
      top,and feeling exhausted at the end of the day.
      You will have all kinds of xtra room in the ketewomoke compared to the
      sally hyde, and I would be willing to bet that 2 large men could
      literally sit on the rails of the ketewomoke with out felling like the
      boat is going to roll over.Bottom line this is going to be a very
      solid,smooth and sure boat with lots of room and comfort, and able to
      handle rougher water then it should be out in.

      I like the sally hyde as well, and wish that a couple years back I had
      built it instead of the dory that I did build. But the sally hyde is a
      skiff, and maybe the ultimate skiff at that. If you was using it in
      shallow water for fishing and constantly dragging it out onto the bank,
      then it would be great, but I don't think it will compare to the
      ketewomoke in carrying capacity, stability, smooth ride, roominess, and
      rough water ride, as well as straight tracking.

      I hope to start the pennant by christmas and be ready to launch by
      april, if all goes well. You should give some thought to building the
      ketewomoke traditionally, and going with strip planking. No glass, just
      good paint job and nice trim work, you will have a solid boat that will
      last the rest of your life. It will be economical to operate, and a
      smooth riding boat that is a joy and relaxfull to use.
      Or at least that is my opinion.

      P.S. read the comments on the utility and pennant as well, after all
      they all 3 are basically the same. Look at how many people the pennant
      can carry when used as a taxi. A boat of this size to carry that many
      people has to be solid and sound. No tipsy deal here.That can be
      important if you are using it for trolling, and 2 big guys are leaning
      over the rail dragging in a fish. In comparison, a friend from oregon
      that has a 24 foot pacific dory,and uses it to troll for tuna, told me
      he wears a inflatable life jacket, he says when leaning over the side
      in pulling in a tuna, you have to be carefull if a wave hits the boat
      it will flip you out.Ain't that neat. That is due to the flat bottom
      and steeped sloped sides, common in the dory family.
      Good luck...

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@m...> wrote:
      > I know this topic has been touched on before, at least regarding the
      > tunnel stern boats like Rescue Miner, but I'd still like to know more
      > about what kind of behavior can be expected from the V bottom
      > Seabright skiffs like Frank Toop, Happy Clam, Sally Hyde, etc., as
      > compared to the conventional vertical deadwood designs, like Linny and
      > Ketewomoke, for example. The many references in the articles about the
      > Seabright skiffs in general being "able", "seaworthy", and "safe" are
      > encouraging, but I am especially concernd about the boats' ability to
      > be stable and straight tracking while trolling in calm water, and yet
      > still avoid rolling, pitching, pounding, yawing, and all that other
      > stuff that occurs when quartering or running off a rough sea. Also I'm
      > wondering how they're likley to trim at their designed "cruising"
      > speeds, as compared to other types. I guess I'm really trying to
      > compare Sally Hyde and Ketewomoke. I'm hoping somebody out there has
      > either some experience to share or at least an opinion more educated
      > than mine.
      > Andrew Harvey.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic