751Re: Question for John and Mrs. Atkins

  • mikegt4
    Aug 1, 2005
      I have owned a couple of boats with wood masts/internal halyards.
      Other than being "visually cleaner", I found no advantages over
      external halyards. An internal jam or twist will be an event to
      remember. At least one of my masts had a compression tube between the
      spreaders, just like aluminum masts.

      Built-up wood masts weren't rocket science, just the "norm" at one
      time. Most designers of "homebuilt" boats in the 60's and 70's
      included built-up wood masts in their plans to satisfy the "cost
      conscious" builder. Sitka was cheap, aluminum was expensive. Bingham,
      Skene's/Kinney, Roberts, Glen-L, Piver, Jim Brown amoung others all
      had wooden mast building chapters in their construction manuals.
      Herreshoff and Bolger show mast construction in detail in many of
      their books. It's out there, just not popular anymore. You can find
      these books in larger libraries, usually in the "nobody checks me out
      anymore" section (which can be a gold mine to the old boat lover).
      Used book stores in the coastal areas are also a great source.
      Good hunting

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:
      > Do any of the Sail designs include specs and design details for
      > hollow
      > rectangular section masts with internal halyards? I tried to
      > describe
      > these to a Brazilian fellow on another list and I think I failed
      > miserably. I couldn't think of a cite except Bruce
      > Bingham's "Ferrocement Boatbuilding" which is "out of print" and I
      > can't remember ever seeing this online. If Mrs. Atkins has access
      > engineering tables etc. or perhaps access to Bruce Bingham who I
      > believe may still work as an illustrator could such information be
      > published/sold? There seems to be a dearth of information on the
      > subject of wooden mast design and building and it's one of those
      > technologies that is just now being lost for lack of use in the
      USA.
      > For once it would be nice to save something for posterity before
      all
      > the practitioners are dead.
      >
      > Mike Dolph
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic