749Re: [AtkinBoats] Question for John and Mrs. Atkins

    Aug 1, 2005
      There are several examples of hollow rectangular wooden masts in L. Francis
      Herreshoff's book Sensible Cruising Designs (Int'l Marine 1973), and he
      writes about them in The Common Sense of Yacht Design (reprinted by Caravan-
      Maritime in 1975). Francis Herreshoff was one of the early champions of
      rectangular spars. I'll look around in my Ideal Series books for Atkin
      examples. Internal halyards are the kind of go-fast complication that
      wouldn't appeal to either of the Atkins, so I doubt that I'll find any.

      On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:48:15 -0000, Mike wrote:
      > Do any of the Sail designs include specs and design details for
      > hollow
      > rectangular section masts with internal halyards?

      The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
      be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
      <Elizabeth Taylor>
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic