744Re: Question for John and Mrs. Atkins

  • Wayne
    Aug 1, 2005
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:

      There seems to be a dearth of information on the
      > subject of wooden mast design and building and it's one of those
      > technologies that is just now being lost for lack of use in the USA.
      > For once it would be nice to save something for posterity before all
      > the practitioners are dead.
      > Mike Dolph

      I can think of a dozen (or maybe more-I can't remember all of them)
      professional builders whom I have personally met are keeping the craft
      and skills alive. There is a lot of wooden spar making going on, both
      solid and hollow. The two big drawbacks to people building hollow spars
      in far flung places is suitable timber and modern glues. Spar grade
      spruce or douglas fir and epoxy or resorcinol are probably just as hard
      to find and maybe more expensive than aluminum extrusions in out of the
      way places. Local tmiber can be substitiuted if the builder knows what
      he's doing. That's a whole other can of worms.

      In the Swamp.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic