742Re: Question for John and Mrs. Atkins

  • Wayne
    Aug 1, 2005
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdewolfe@a...> wrote:
      > Just the same these things existed, as I recall pipe bushings were
      > used in the way of the spreaders so through bolts could be used to
      > attach the spreaders and stays with out deforming the mast
      > structure. I believe this was the high tech game until aluminum
      > became commonly available. The "secrets" were guarded and it's these
      > sort of engineering secrets that get lost as folks guard their
      > interests right into the grave.
      >
      > Mike Dolph

      I think you're making too much of this. There is ample documentation
      out there. No doubt there is room for a lot of individual customization
      as well. If you want internal halyards, go for it.

      As in all things related to boats, the answer is usually, "It depends."
      If you're talking about marconi main and jib halyards, running both of
      those inside a hollow box spar is probably feasible. If you're talking
      about a gaff sloop or cutter, there may not be room inside the mast for
      all of the strings. I have been around a number of production boats
      with aluminum spars and the halyards weren't always run inside the spar.

      One more point: not only will a sealed wooden spar be less likely to
      rot from the inside out, it will also be more buoyant in the event of a
      knockdown.

      The old ways still work. If I remember, I'll thumb through my books and
      plans tonight and see what I can find.

      Wayne
      In the Swamp.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic