658Atkin plans, how much detail and what come with them

    May 8 3:05 PM
      Any additional deck structure will adversely affect performance, but if you
      keep a hard dodger or pilothouse as low and light as possible it might not
      hurt things much. Of equal importance, all too often the "improvements"
      people make to the superstructures of their boats spoil the looks, if they
      don't end up making the poor boat butt-ugly. <sigh> A recent example is the
      little Fenwick Williams canoe yawl in the latest Wooden Boat, where a few
      inches extra height in the cabin sides an some extra crown in the top made
      the cabin look ungainly.

      For a boat the size of Little Ranger traditional carvel construction is best
      in the long run. You aren't going to be trailering a boat that size, so
      there's no harm in the swelling. Strip and cold-molded construction is more
      expensive and involves working with lots of unpleasant goop. :ob Regular old
      plank-on-frame construction is infinitely repairable too, you can build a
      boat that way that will last for generations with a little care.

      A complete neophyte can easily build some of the small, simple Atkin designs
      from the plans and accompanying MoToR BoatinG article. For the more complex
      small boats the neophyte should study some of the books on boatbuilding
      available through the page below. With the help of the books they should be
      able to build any of the small boats if they're reasonably handy:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Books/index.html

      On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:14:08 -0000, John C wrote:
      > I joined this group out of curiosity because a reader of my column
      > emailed me about the Atkin plans and wanted to know what they
      > contained. After looking at the plans and seeing the boats I might
      > just build one of these for my vacation boat to Mexico every
      > winter.
      > I have been looking at the Little Ranger.
      > but I wonder if a pilothouse/hard dodger
      > would come under those restraints? I have been thinking of strip
      > planking with cold molding over that to make a hull that will not
      > swell with water infiltration. The pilot house is so I can keep
      > green cold Pacific water off my back and boots when I have to beat
      > back north through the many storms that are in the Pacific at that
      > time of year. Plus I can always put up two extra people in hammocks
      > inside the confines of a pilot house.
      > In any case could someone who has a set of plans fill me in about
      > the content and if a complete neophyte could build one of the
      > smaller designs.

      After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
      well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic