657Atkin plans, how much detail and what come with them

    May 8, 2005
      Now that I'm started I can't stop putting in my two cents! <g> The Atkins
      assumed that anyone tackling the big boats would be familiar with general
      boatbuilding. A neophyte would be foolish to start in on a boat like Little
      Ranger without having a smaller plank-on-frame boat under their belt.

      Little Ranger will spend most of her life (all of it in mild climates like
      the NW) in the water. If strip-planked, the strips will swell up and stay
      sealed without any goop between the strips, so it makes little sense to go
      through the mess and expense. If the boat ever fell into neglect and spent a
      lot of time out of the water the strips would shrink to smaller width than
      when they were new. If the 5200 was still sticking it might hold tight
      enough to split the strips, if it failed, you'd have a whole bunch of s**t
      to reef out of the seams. :o( Without goop, even if you can see light
      through the seams after a few years on the hard, they'll swell tight again
      when you get the boat back in the water.

      I'd thought that strip-planking was newer, maybe arising in the 1920s or so,
      but a fellow I know has a strip-planked rowboat built on Coos Bay in the
      1890s. No goop between the strips of course. <g> There were lots of sawmills
      around the bay back then and they probably used edge-cut scraps and resawn
      rejected planks for the strips -- free or nearly so wood -- just like the
      first strip-builders Back East...

      On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:53:32 -0000, John D wrote:
      > If a neophyte like me was building
      > something like Little Ranger I'd want lots of advice and drawings of
      > all structural subsystems like engine beds, mast steps, and very
      > specific directions/drawings on how to assemble that keel, stem, and
      > deadwood/shaft log. I'd probably leave it at strip planked with out
      > sheathing of any kind with marine adhesive (3M or Sikaflex) between
      > the strips.

      One boat just leads to another.
      <John Kohnen>
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic