656Atkin plans, how much detail and what come with them

    May 8 3:04 PM
      Here's a belated reply. I was hoping someone who has bought the plans for
      one of the large Atkin boats would pipe up and tell us about them. <shrug>
      You see, I haven't actually seen the entire plans for any of the large
      boats. From the bits and pieces I've seen I'd say that there are lines
      drawings and offsets; interior layout; construction profile, plan and
      several cross sections; sail plan and good drawings of the rigging details
      and any unusual bits and pieces elsewhere in the boat. There won't be any
      step by step details on interior construction, and the designer(s) assume
      that the builder knows how to build a boat, so there will be no how-to
      instruction about the building process. Most of the plans come with a
      reprint of the MoToR BoatinG article about the boat, which explains the
      general construction. The plans that weren't published in MoToR BoatinG
      probably don't come with any text that isn't on the drawings, but the
      drawings are complete enough for anyone who knows how to build a boat. All
      but a couple of the small, simple boats in the catalog require lofting -- a
      good idea anyway, my sole experience with full-size templates wasn't a happy
      one. :o(

      What if you don't know how to build a boat? There are several books that
      will tell you enough about boatbuilding to get you started. The Atkin boats
      are built traditional style. H. I. Chapelle's Boatbuilding and Robert
      Steward's Boatbuilding Manual are good books about regular wood
      construction. Boatbuilding with Plywood by Glen L. Witt is a good book about
      the "sticks and nails" type of plywood construction the Atkins intended. You
      can buy these books through the Atkin site (and I get a kickback! <g>):

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Books/

      If you have no experience building boats the old-fasioned way you really
      should build one of the smaller boats in the catalog before tackilng one of
      the big boats.

      The trouble with the school of experience
      is that the graduates are too old to go to work. <Henry Ford>
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic