655Re: [AtkinBoats] Updating a design

    May 8, 2005
      Nowadays most of us have to deal with trailering, at least with smaller,
      boats, so converting to more trailer-friendly building methods is often
      necessary. For the small Atkin boats we can often figure out how to change
      the building method on our own, but for the larger, more complex boats --
      which are also a bigger financial risk -- it's very wise to seek the help
      of a professional designer. The "new cold-molded" method, as promoted by
      Reuel Parker, with strip planking covered by a few layers of cold-molding,
      would be my choice for a trailerable Live Yankee. But you're not going to be
      trailering a boat the weight of Live Yankee very much! If you make Live
      Yankee much lighter you'll end up with a completely different boat. Maybe
      you can commission a designer to draw you a light boat that looks like Live
      Yankee...

      On Sun, 08 May 2005 00:37:26 -0600, Chris K wrote:
      > I have always had a keen interest in schooners. I really like Atkin's
      > "Live Yankee". However, anything I would build needs to be easily
      > trailered and everything I've read implies that plank on frame doesn't
      > stand up so good when bounding down the highway on a regular basis.
      >
      > If I ever were to build "Live Yankee" I'd want to cold-mold it so it
      > could better handle trailering. I'd also think it'd be a reasonable idea
      > to fiberglass sheath the outside at least to better handle abrasions.
      > I'd also want it to be lighter then the 8500 pounds to make it easier to
      > trailer. Of course this would impact the sailing characteristics and
      > such.
      >
      > My question is, how does one go about taking these older designs and
      > updating them for more modern building techniques ?
      >
      > I assume the best solution be to contact a designer and just ask to
      > have a boat designed that is similar to "Live Yankee" ?
      >
      > But, if there is a different solution I am all ears.

      People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.
      <Logan Pearsall Smith>
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic