643Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Small air cooled inboard motors

    Apr 12, 2005
      You can easily "gear down" the Hatz with a belt or a chain between the
      engine or gearbox and the prop shaft.

      There's been some discussion about using air-cooled engine in boats over on
      the Western Oregon Messabout group, where a friend of mine suggested using
      an outboard lower unit as a reverse gear for a vertical-shaft engine. Lying
      awake the other night I had a revelation -- why does the crankshaft of a
      horizontal shaft engine, like your Hatz, have to be parallel with the
      centerline? If you lay an outboard lower unit on its side, with the output
      shaft coupled to the prop shaft and the input shaft lying athwartships,
      mount the engine near it with it's shaft parallel with the lower unit's
      input shaft, then hook them together with appropriate belts, pulley, chains,
      sprockets or whatever, wouldn't it be a good, cheap way to get a reverse
      gear? Or did I just have too much pizza before going to bed... <g>

      On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:03:22 -0000, dmede808 wrote:
      > As you mentioned, RPMs are one of my big concerns. The small diesel I
      found delivers
      > 7.6hp at max 3600rpms and idles at 800rpms. Highest torque is 13.5lbs.ft
      at 2000rpms.
      > It delivers roughly 5hp at max torque 2000rpm. Probably higher RPM range
      than the
      > Palmer. The Palmer was rated at 6hp at 2500rpms.

      Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your cat.
      <Craig O'Donnell>
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic