641Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Small air cooled inboard motors

    Apr 12, 2005
      Take a cue from Robb and mount the engine on rubber. I think I'd make a
      subframe that holds both the engine and gearbox, so you won't have any
      problems with belt or chain tension -- and possible transmitted vibration,
      then mount that subframe on rubber mounts. They sell expensive cushion
      couplings for marine engines, but you can probably find something at your
      local bearing store that will work fine between the gearbox and prop shaft
      with a low-horsepower engine. The inboard end of the prop shaft would be
      supported by a combination thrust/radial bearing, readily available at the
      bearing house.

      An air-cooled engine (especially a diesel!) is going to be noisier than the
      Baby Huskie too. You might want to think about a soundproofed engine box
      with air ducted to, and away, from the engine.

      On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:47:40 -0000, dmede808 (what's your name anyway?)
      > I am also concerned that the higher
      > RPMs with the single cylinder will cause more vibration than the Palmer
      Baby Husky spec'd
      > for this boat.

      "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
      "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the truth.
      <Alfred North Whitehead>
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic