638Re: [AtkinBoats] Building the Rescue Minor

    Apr 12, 2005
      Yes, lofting is required. Rescue Minor is built the old-fashioned way on a
      strongback. A fellow who'd posted here built a large-scale model of Rescue
      Minor (how's the full-size one coming Richie?) and reported trouble twisting
      the bilge panels into place at the bow. He resorted to batten-seam
      construction there. The plans call for 3/4" plywood planking, which is
      probably overkill.

      A Universal Atomic Four would probably be the easiest suitable used engine
      to find. Lots of perfectly good ones have been pulled out of sailboats and
      replaced with diesels by owners afraid of gasoline. Try to find one with a
      straight through gearbox, no reduction. Here are some good Atomic Four

      On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:12:12 -0000, Al wrote:
      > Before I move forward to purchasing the plans for the Rescue Minor I
      > would be glad to hear from anyone who has already built it or a
      > similar boat.
      > Is ther lofting required? Any particular problems with the build
      > cycle etc.
      > I would prefer to buy a used engine. Any sources for engines with
      > transmission that may or may not need rebuiid .

      Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic