546Re: Most Efficient Hull??

  • liokai2002
    Jan 24, 2005
      Hello Ron, tried five times to send you photos and papers of
      MADERFORM hulls (similiar to SAND PIPER)to your private
      adress "artemis@p...." but all were rejected by Mail Delivery
      Subsystem Mailer Daemon .... :" The following adress had permanent
      fatal errors..". Whats my failure ? Regards, Manfred

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Fossum" <artemis@p...>
      wrote:
      > Thank you, Manfred, for your kind response. I would certainly
      appreciate any information you might have. My internet connection is
      DSL so large (up to 5Meg) file size is not an issue.

      > My intention is to build a turnnel stern Sea Bright Skiff of about
      21' 6" LOA, 6' beam and (hopefully) 6" - 7" draft. It will be powered
      by a high speed steam plant - total weight of under 350 lbs. - with
      engine rpm max at 2000rpm / 15+ shaft HP.

      > I liked what Robb White did with his version of Rescue Minor, but I
      would retain the Atkin plywood construction for the area below the
      chines (making it of 1/2" marine plywood - 1" for the flat
      bottom/keel). I would develop the topsides as curved forms - much
      like the original Sea Bright Skiffs - and use glued plywood lapstrake
      planking - ala Ian Oughtred - probably of 3/8" marine plywood. If
      you're interested, I could scan some scaled sketches (once they're
      completed) and email them to you. I have a copy of "The Sea Bright
      Skiff and other shore boats" by Peter Guthorn as well as "Building
      Classic Small Craft & More Building Classic Small Craft" by John
      Gardner", so have researched the design fairly well. My local Public
      Library also has the Motor Boatings Ideal Series (complete) where the
      Atkins published all of their Sea Bright Designs (complete with
      offsets).

      > I plan to build a 3/4" = 1' model (as Weston Farmer recommends) to
      further refine the design. I then hope to start actual hull
      construction sometime this summer and, as I am now retired, have the
      hull completed before the rains set in here in Portland, Oregon
      (usually in late October). I have some background, professionally, in
      wooden boatwright work, mostly in repair and restoration. I still
      have a LOT of clamps, etc. to make the work go easier.

      > Any information/help you can provide would be appreciated.
      >
      > Ron Fossum, artemis@p...

      Dr.
      > Mader is a shipwright and has a wharf called "Hycom" in Duisburg
      > (Germany). Suppose there are many Hycoms in the Google world.
      When
      > you send me your adress, I can post you some papers and pics, not
      > professionally, just from one interested "hydrodymaniac" to
      another.
      > Regards, Manfred
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Fossum" <artemis@p...>
      > wrote:
      > > Thank you for your response, Manfred.
      > >
      > > I have heard of, and seen reference to, "Maderform" hulls - but
      did
      > not understand the concept. Now I think it would be useful to
      know
      > more. I used the Google search engine and looked for "Maderform
      > hulls" (no results, do I want maidenform bras?) and Paul Mader
      (lots
      > of stuff about a Paul Mader who is heavily involved in
      agriculture in
      > 3rd world areas).
      > >
      > > Do you know of any websites that discuss/have information on
      > Maderform hulls?
      > >
      > > Many thanks.
      > >
      > > Ron Fossum

      Please
      > be polite.
      > >
      > > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
      the
      > plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
      > Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of
      the
      > resulting boat.
      > >
      > > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      > > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Terms of