534Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Easily driven boats (and study plans ordered)

  • David Lightfoot
    Jan 18, 2005
      Interesting pic. Those are pretty scant sails for a boat of that
      displacement but I noticed that Atkin drew in vangs p&s for the gaff
      peak. On a smaller boat that would be scary but I'm sure they will cause
      no big fear factor in a boat with the stability of Martha Green and would
      surely help he point up as well as a marconi rig. Those Atkin guys were
      geniouses as well as practical. No designers that I know of now are
      designating vangs... insurance reasons? I sail a sixteen foot dingy
      (sometimes) with a gaff rig and use them. Best sailing rig I know of, but
      just a bit harry in a gust <g>. And I want to say that a gaff rig with
      zero twist is a whole different animal!

      David Lightfoot