524Re: Easily driven boats (and study plans ordered)

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Jan 17, 2005
      Leo,

      Wow, you certainly have stirred up some good responses on this thread
      and the previous! I too am looking for a cruising boat to build; but
      my cruising would be on a lake about 100 miles long by 40 miles wide
      so the size requirements are different. However, the cost of diesel
      fuel here in Nicaragua is high (not as high as Europe) and I am
      looking for a very efficient hull in the 23-26 foot range. I would
      like to use an agriculture air-cooled engine in the 6.6 to 13 HP range
      with belt drive. I can buy a 6.6 for $639 and an 11 HP was quoted at
      about $1,300.

      I really like the idea of a motorsailer for the assist it can give as
      well as dampening the motion in these sometimes (well lots of the
      time) rough waters. Some of the local transportation pangas use a 9.9
      to 15 HP outboard and a sail. So, today the check was put in the mail
      for study plans of "Little Water", "Little Silver" and "Lady of the
      Lake". Okay, I know a stern-wheeler is not efficient, but "Lady of the
      Lake" is for another project!

      Mr. Robb White suggested "Little Water" but it is a fishing boat and
      the cabin is minimal. Still, it looks attractive even though I don't
      need the extreme shoal draft. (One inch draft per foot of deck length
      would be fine.) "Little Silver" is a V-bottom motor-sailor with a nice
      cabin. I wish I could remember the design where the Atkins compared
      the SeaBright Skiff based designs with V-bottom designs. For our lake
      conditions, the V-bottom may be the way to go.

      Oh, some more design considerations! Exterior plywood is almost
      impossible to buy, and forget about marine grade! Good boatbuilding
      woods are available but not cheap; and forget about asking for
      quarter-sawn! There is a good wood here for steam bending (locals soak
      it in water) but I haven't priced it yet. And I won't be building
      alone. Our young carpenter working on things for the house is an
      artist with wood and his rates are affordable!

      I love this group!

      Lewis

      p.s. And I haven't entirely excluded Russell R. as a cheap option!

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <leochill@y...> wrote:

      > Back when internal combustion engines were first becoming available –
      > whether gas or diesel – these engines were massive chunks of cast
      > iron and had very low HP to weight ratios. Maybe on the order of 1HP
      > per 100 pounds. Today's engines might have 10-20 HP output per 100
      > pounds of weight. Refer back to the comments about Rescue Minor and
      > how the bow acts without the motor weight that Atkin specified for an
      > example.
      >
      > So back when Atkin was designing, motors were very underpowered and
      > the hull really needed to be "slippery" to fully take advantage of
      > the low power that was available in those days from IC engines. And
      > yes, I know I'm sorta downplaying, for now, the effect that torque
      > has on turning a large propeller slowly.
      >
      > Based on my reading, early displacement power boat hulls evolved from
      > sailboat hulls that were "sorta" efficient. Obviously the science of
      > designing efficient displacement power boat hulls progressed rapidly –
      > as NA's learned what worked best and what was less desirable.
      >
      > It seems to me that as engines become both more powerful and the
      > power to weight ratio improved, that the hull shapes started moving
      > away from what slipped through the water easiest and began evolving
      > into the "fat-ish" hulls of trawlers and cargo boats and that
      > evolution has progressed into the modern plastic floating apartments
      > that grace (or is that disgrace?) trade magazines and marina's the
      > world over.
      >
      > Having recently read a history of the Whitehall Rowing boat, I began
      > to wonder why this hull form, with its fine entry, generous mid-
      > section and wineglass stern wasn't expanded upon for inboard power.
      > What's the drawback from scaling this general design up to make it a
      > 30-40 footer? Perhaps direct 1:1 scaling isn't practical, but why
      > couldn't one incorporate the fine entry, general midships section and
      > the fine stern sections into a power boat hull? To my very untrained
      > eye, it appears that Atkin did use some of these three design
      > principles in several of his designs.
      >
      > IIRC, from Gerr's books and others, a large diameter, aggressively
      > pitched slow turning propeller is more efficient for moving a
      > displacement hull than a smaller less pitched propeller turning at
      > higher speeds. Or is my memory getting as gray as my hair?
      >
      > It seems to be a difficult task in today's world to find folks that
      > agree with this philosophy. Almost all modern (inboard diesel) boat
      > propulsion systems rely on high speed engines – many with
      > turbochargers – to turn a smaller wheel. Gear ratio's in the 2:1 –
      > 2.5:1 are common. This translates into prop RPM's from the low range
      > of 750 RPM to a high of 1800 RPM when the 2:1 geared engine is wound
      > to 3600 RPM.
      >
      > Yet just a few decades ago we had engines that idled at 300-400 RPM
      > (or less) and had an operating RPM range from 700 to 1200. These
> [...]
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic