513Re: Most Efficient Hull??

  • Mike Dolph
    Jan 17, 2005
      For your purposes I would recommend Rosdave, Seal, or Danceing
      Feather.

      Rosdave will move very economically at V/L=1 with just a 8HP Yanmar;
      how ever she will be challenging to plank. If you look at the
      diagonals you will see that the diagonal closest to the keel has some
      pretty extreme bends at the ends. Those are the bends you will have
      to follow with a plank; not easy. Seal and Dancing Feather have less
      problems with this. Seal and Dancing Feather demonstrate another
      problem in that with a safe and seaworthy hull form pure displacement
      hulls quickly generate more displacement than needed to carry a
      pleasure boat interior and ballast is needed to get them to their
      design waterlines. Canoes without ballast of 40 feet are not safe or
      comfortable for their inhabitants on the ocean so you won't find such
      designs. This continues until you reach ship sizes where ocean waves
      are much smaller than the hull. This explains the popularity
      of "lifting hulls". Rosdave will in fact generate a small amount of
      lift, many of the v-bottoms on the site will also generate lift and
      the designers notes are the best guide to which generate most unless
      someone has actually built them and tested. What you are looking for
      might be described as "the best solution of a motorized canoe with
      ballast". Well at least that imparts the idea I'm trying to get
      across:-)

      Mike Dolph
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <leochill@y...> wrote:

      > I suppose that this is an excellent example of why text only
      messaging
      > has so many limitations.
      >
      > I ass-u-me'ed that my specifying a V/L of 1.0 would point everyone
      > a displacement hull. But that was obviously incorrect.
      >
      > We have folks replying with dinghy's and planning boats as
      examples.
      > While I can't deny that these boats can be or are very efficient, I
      > was actually thinking of power displacement hulls in the 25' to
      > 40-ish' range.
      >
      > Generally speaking - while realizing that exceptions do exist - I
      > believe that a long narrow displacement hull form will be able to
      > carry a larger load - read cruising supplies - longer distances with
      > more comfort using less fuel than other types of boats.
      >
      > So now that I've explained my thought process a bit, I again ask -
      > with some added verbage - which power displacement hull design on
      the
      > atkin web site do you believe would be most efficient?
      >
      > Thanks - and with apologies for the earlier confusion.
      >
      > Leo
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <leochill@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Which hull shape at http://www.atkinboatplans.com/ do you believe
      > > be most efficient?