491Re: Economy Ben?

  • baycruiser54
    Jan 4, 2005
      John -

      Thanks for your replies. This is the second time I have tried to
      post, the first time didn't work (at least yet), just to explain if
      two posts from me show up.

      Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind, re: putting EJ's cabin and
      interior on Ben, no other change but to make the deckhouse
      proportionally longer, and the galley-seating area, and that's it.

      EJ's cabin looks too good to mess up by making it taller. Standing
      headroom probably should not be a priority on so small a boat - just
      go on deck.

      Steve

      > Ben's forestay fastens to the mast right near where the shrouds
      do, so the
      > luff of the jib shouldn't sag much. The shrouds are angled back
      quite a bit
      > to keep the forestay taut, but it'll never be as taut as that of
      one of the
      > high-strung rigs. But then those high-strung rigs put so much
      strain into
      > the hull that it needs to be over-engineered to keep the boat
      together --
      > all just to keep that jib luff tight! Fortunately, that's not the
      Atkins'
      > idea of boating...
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic