369Re: [AtkinBoats] isuzu engine for sand dollar

    Nov 5, 2004
      That's a big chunk of engine! It'll probably be at least 200 pounds heavier
      than the biggest engine the Atkins recommended, and more powerful. At least
      it's not a high-speed engine. I keep reading that the light, high-speed
      diesels like Yanmar don't like to run at a light load...

      On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:54:35 -0000, Andrew wrote:

      > I am considering building Sand Dollar, as a more easily and quickly
      > built alternative to the slightly larger day cruisers I mentioned in
      > an earlier post. My main priority is the large cockpit, anyway.
      > A friend of mine in Seattle has an Isuzu 6 cylinder marine diesel
      > that he is willing to let me have. All he wants in return is to take
      > the boat over there for the winters. That would certainly make the
      > boat happy! But I'm not sure if it's too big or not. It's 90 hp at
      > 1800 rpm, 396 cid, and about 750lbs. He's also got a zf 2:1 gear with
      > 10 deg down angle, about 75lbs. Is this setup too much for Sand
      > Dollar? I wouldn't want to over power it. The displacement certainly
      > violates the Atkins' specs, but the power and weight seem like they
      > might be close enough. I would welcome any experienced or thoughful
      > comment.

      The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
      be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
      <Elizabeth Taylor>
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic